Handle bar choices.......

More
28 Oct 2006 15:30 #88091 by ScottZ
Handle bar choices....... was created by ScottZ
I'm not too fond of the handlebars that came standard on my Spectre. At some point I plan on changeing them for something different. I'm not too sure wheret ostart though. What would be the pros and cons of the following:

Clubmans

Superbike

Drag/Sport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Oct 2006 15:38 #88093 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Handle bar choices.......
superbike bars are middle ground betwwen roto-tiller ltd style bars and back killing drag bars,i like superbike bars or some similar aluminum dirtbike bars myself.;)

More
28 Oct 2006 18:23 #88133 by ScottZ
Replied by ScottZ on topic Handle bar choices.......
I guess with the superbike bars I can always turn them around and upside down like cafe bars if I don't like them the other way.

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Oct 2006 18:27 #88136 by wireman
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Oct 2006 18:29 #88137 by wireman
wireman wrote:

heres a set of back breaking dragbars on my z1,they look cool but i just cant handle riding like that anymore!:P
Attachments:

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
28 Oct 2006 18:45 #88139 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic Handle bar choices.......
I use black dirt bike bars off a cannondale ,,if anyone was at Mid Ohio a couple years ago they were selling for 1.00 ea. ,, My local shop bought hundreds ,, I have them on everything I own ,, :) :) They sit just right for us seasoned riders ,, Yes that would be seasoned with salt and pepper .. :) :)

More
28 Oct 2006 18:57 #88145 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Handle bar choices.......
I initially put a set of clubmans on my 77 650 and loved the look of them, but hated riding for more than about 30 minutes at a time because they pull you forward so far over the tank and put so much weight on your wrists. So, I switched over to the moto style bars and LOVE THEM. They still look pretty sweet and are very very easy on the back, wrists and posture and I can ride day in and day out now. Just my two cents....here's how they look on the bike...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE
Attachments:

More
29 Oct 2006 01:02 #88224 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Handle bar choices.......
you just need a good set of arms if you want to run clubmans, its the same as running clip-ons, lots of people dont like the feel, but I like the sport bike feel

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/10/29 04:03

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH
Attachments:

More
29 Oct 2006 01:04 #88225 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Handle bar choices.......

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH
Attachments:

More
29 Oct 2006 06:35 #88249 by ratmeister
Replied by ratmeister on topic Handle bar choices.......
I had an 82 spectre with the superbike bars on and it was very comfortable to ride. I tried inverting them, and though it looked cool, the angle on your wrists hurts after about 5 minutes of riding.

I now have a 650 and a set of drag bars. The drag bars had to be adjusted to not hit the tank and weren't comfortable, but I bought a set of 1" spacers and raised them and now they look and feel great!

I personally like the look of drag base because they aren't as wide as standard bars, but it takes some work to get all the controls and stuff from hitting the tank...

Good luck! Rob

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
29 Oct 2006 07:00 #88255 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Handle bar choices.......
I have now installed the following bars on my bikes:

"Superbike": 2" rise - Awesome for the feel and look. I commute an hour and never get sore. Had to re-do brakelines, but cables still fit with some re-routing. Alot more straight-across than stock, a much better feeling.

"Datona": 3 1/2" rise - Somewhat more of a stock feeling but pretty much the same angles as the superbike bars only slightly higher. Still a far improvement over stock bars. All stock lines and cables stiff fit and work without change. Should be a very comfortable bar for older riders.

"Cafe/Euro": 2" rise, but bar ends angle down and back. Definately different. More sporty feeling than the Superbike bars. Since the bar-ends angle away, there is actually more room for stock cables and brake line.

My favorite of the above: Superbike.

:) B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
29 Oct 2006 09:16 #88289 by kano
Replied by kano on topic Handle bar choices.......
i use a set of dirtbike renthals on mine and they seem to be comfy with my bad back which is a big deal for me with 3 bulging disks and a herniated spine try to borrow a set to see if you like the sit up position it gives..