I just dont know....

More
29 Apr 2018 18:00 #782622 by 650Dude
Replied by 650Dude on topic I just dont know....

SWest wrote:

650Dude wrote:

SWest wrote: Adjusted properly the plates might stop sticking together. You may have to take them out, oil them and put them back in. Common for a bike that sat for a while.
Steve

Nope. Not on target. I think I may have mentioned this a few times. My bikes NEVER sit for more than two weeks TOPS. In the original post, i made it a point to say the bikes are "well maintained. "
Im active on all of my bikes, even in the winter. They DO not sit. That bike sat in a heated garage for ONE week before I brought it out Saturday.

Guesswork aggravates me (when I do it) so this is where I stand now: Im not speculating anymore. It leads to confusion. Im going to do the adjustment and then check the bike. if that doesnt work I will inspect the basket etc. One thing at a time is how I plan to take it.

How long have to owned it? I was thinking the PO let it sit as a lot do before selling it. Over time things appear. Chances are it's something simple or the steel plates that were free can overheat warping them. Not long ago I found 4 cracked friction disks. Yes, one thing at a time.
Good luck ;)
Steve
BTW, if my suggestions irritate you just say so and I'll keep them to myself.

The PO rode the bike quite a bit and didnt let it sit.

Your suggestions are great and much appreciated. I just noticed you have a bit of a habit in not reading the fine details which causes me to have to repeat myself. When I post its usually out of frustration with dealing with some issue, and re-typing drives me slightly nuts. But I do appreciate your kindness and wisdom.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2018 19:16 #782624 by M_a_t_t
Replied by M_a_t_t on topic I just dont know....
I don't think you mentioned checking the cable for fraying, my bike (83 KZ1100) was similar. I had hard time putting it in neutral, then my clutch cable broke, luckily I was down the street from my house, but I don't have a problem anymore. I had tried adjusting my cable before it broke and it didn't help.

PS: A cool tip I saw in a youtube video, route a second clutch cable along your other clutch cable. This way if it breaks while you are out, all you have to do is swap the ends out, rather than having to take it all the way apart on the side of the road or get a tow home/ to a shop.

83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

More
29 Apr 2018 19:20 - 29 Apr 2018 19:22 #782625 by 650Dude
Replied by 650Dude on topic I just dont know....

M_a_t_t wrote: I don't think you mentioned checking the cable for fraying, my bike (83 KZ1100) was similar. I had hard time putting it in neutral, then my clutch cable broke, luckily I was down the street from my house, but I don't have a problem anymore. I had tried adjusting my cable before it broke and it didn't help.

PS: A cool tip I saw in a youtube video, route a second clutch cable along your other clutch cable. This way if it breaks while you are out, all you have to do is swap the ends out, rather than having to take it all the way apart on the side of the road or get a tow home/ to a shop.

Great advice! On my CB750 I had that same experience. The cable snapped while i was on the highway here in crazy NYC where ppl drive like mad. Luckily there was a shoulder I was able to pull onto. I have spare of all clutch cables, so Im going to swap it outright. Here is my 750 that experienced the snapped cable.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2018 19:22 by 650Dude.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Apr 2018 20:58 #782631 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic I just dont know....
"The PO rode the bike quite a bit and didnt let it sit.

Your suggestions are great and much appreciated. I just noticed you have a bit of a habit in not reading the fine details which causes me to have to repeat myself. When I post its usually out of frustration with dealing with some issue, and re-typing drives me slightly nuts. But I do appreciate your kindness and wisdom. "

Thank you. I read them. Sometimes I look at things from a different angle so it may seem so. That's just me.
I had a cable that was sticky and kept the clutch from fully engaging. They can also act like a spring when they are frayed.
That could be the issue I didn't think of. It would be hard to tell until SNAP and you have to limp home. :pinch:
Steve