7th Gear Designs

More
06 Oct 2024 08:56 #904897 by Feanor_twh
Replied by Feanor_twh on topic 7th Gear Designs

I would suggest that you go back through the install and check all grounds and power supply's with a voltmeter, as Doc says ensure you are using "resistor" plugs.
You might want to try installing "exactly" as per the instructions without your mod to include the original baseplate - hopefully the unit isn't faulty as reading the "warranty terms" you have no warranty due to your modification of the base plate (cutting a hole in it) !!!!!      
The warranty is something I don't even consider. And not because I cut the hole (it's a separate board from the circuit) but because I didn't buy from Power Arc but from 7thgeardesigns which is a reseller and doesn't even answer my emails about this problem.

All terminal connections were made by crimping and soldering. I used resistive wires and plugs as provided by 7thgeardesigns.

(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2024 09:00 #904898 by Feanor_twh
Replied by Feanor_twh on topic 7th Gear Designs

Are you sure you have a "good" ground on the brown and blue - you can check his with a voltmeter with the engine running (meter on DCV black meter lead to battery negative terminal - red meter lead to your ground connection, any more than 0.3v signifies a bad ground which triggers a softer advance map)
I can't understand how a softer advance map could cause this erratic behavior. I understand that a softer mapping would provide a smooth driving experience, but not a spark delay from 5,700 rpm onwards.

(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
06 Oct 2024 10:41 #904899 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic 7th Gear Designs
The softer map is likely to have less "maximum advance" - I only suggest checking your grounding as I read an article where a guy with a Honda 750SOHC had exactly the same issue at around 5500 rpm because the blue and brown weren't grounded fully
Did you test the ground with a voltmeter as I suggested ?