Factory plug and boot resistance

• GrumpierGrunt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Sep 2024 07:45 #904628 by GrumpierGrunt
Factory plug and boot resistance was created by GrumpierGrunt
Hi everyone! I am working on a ‘85 Kawasaki 750 Turbo that won’t idle, it’ll start and run for a couple seconds but then die out. Progressive attempts to start the bike result it in not running at all. Seems to only run with the starter button engaged. I have no throttle response and throttle has no effect. 

This was a project that was supposed to be limited to a quick cosmetic upgrade that quickly evolved into a engine out project, not for mechanical reasons but because I wanted to powder coat the frame and other bits. 

I’m ready to fire the parts cannon, but started to focus on anything and everything I might have changed. One item I changed were the coils. I should have left the dyna coils on, but was able to get a set of NOS coils for free from a friend. I picked up stock boots as well and a set of plugs (BR9ES).

I wonder if my issue is related to too much resistance in the boot, as it is a stock resistor type, coupled with the resistor in the plugs. I am not sure what type of wires came stick with this bike, but why would Kawasaki from the factory recommend resistor plugs and resistor caps?

it seems to be a big no-no from what I’ve read. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
26 Sep 2024 07:50 #904629 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Factory plug and boot resistance
Resistor plugs and caps will give you a weak spark, I would suggest before you delve too deeply into the issue you have replace the plugs with "non-resistor" type and see how you go. If that doesn't sort it then I can help you with electrical testing of the fuel and ignition system

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Sep 2024 08:09 #904630 by SWest

• GrumpierGrunt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Sep 2024 11:00 #904634 by GrumpierGrunt
Replied by GrumpierGrunt on topic Factory plug and boot resistance
Thanks everyone!

The coils preciously on the bike were gray dyna coils. 

I forgot to mention that I’ve tested ECU, fuel pump relay, and IC igniter on a working bike and they were fine. Also, I’ve done the tests per the supplemental manual and they’ve checked out fine. Computer is throwing no codes and TPS is responsive. 

i tested the magnetic ignition pickups and the resistance was within spec and the coil primaries seemed fine. I used a heat gun to test the pickups but not the coils, so I might check that.

also, I tested compression and it was okay-ish. 145/145/145 and 120. C4 seemed low as Kawasaki says that any cylinder with a 14 psi difference is suspect, but I think it’ll come around with proper running.

it shouldn’t cause the problem I’m currently experiencing.