How to evict brake noise?

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Feb 2007 11:28 #111852 by KaZooCruiser
How to evict brake noise? was created by KaZooCruiser
Need some help from any and all. . .

When it became time to swap out the worn-out pads, I went with whatever EBC sold, and because of my desire to have brakes that actually work after sitting in the rain, I swapped out the solid rotors on the front wheel for some used KZ ventilated rotors off a later model bike. While everything works better than original, I also have found that about every 200 miles or so, there is enough glazing occurring to cause tractor-trailer/bus noises when I apply my brakes. It is more annoying than anything, but I have tried sanding the pads, using shims made out of aluminum, liquid dampeners (brake goo) all to no avail. I really don't think it has anything to do with the rotor swap. . .I would think someone here might have had a similar noisey problem and figured out a way to alleviate it. Am I stuck with this problem unless I can get the rotors ground or some other involved remedy? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2007 12:05 #111865 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic How to evict brake noise?
I sanded my rotors with some 220 grit to shut mine up. Don't apply so much pressure in one area, sand it in circles like 2 revs in one area to rough it up and sand pads the same time. 2 uneven surfaces will work

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
12 Feb 2007 12:21 #111870 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic How to evict brake noise?
I know that with bicycle brake pads, they must land toe in or heel in first (can't remember) or else they squeal. I wonder if there is a compatability issue between the old caliper and new rotor. Perhaps there are some minute differences between the two models that might account for the squeal. Check in a parts catalogue to see if the brake caliper's parts numbers are the same for the years of your bike, and the bike from which you took the new rotors. If the part's numbers are different, then the probability is higher that there are some compatability problems that are resulting in unwanted noise. How tough would it be to go and get the newer calibers as well?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
12 Feb 2007 12:23 #111871 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic How to evict brake noise?
P.S.
Sincerely, no sarcasm intended on that last sentence of prior reply.

Would it be costly, hard to find, pain in the but on a project that you have fixed a few times... That is what I meant by "tough".

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
12 Feb 2007 12:29 #111872 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic How to evict brake noise?
Did you do a search in the forum for squeeky brakes?

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Feb 2007 14:47 #112115 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic How to evict brake noise?
Thanks for the tips given so far. . .I did the search for noisy, noisey and sqeeky. Squeeky should help me I think. Wish I had a spel checquer.

More
13 Feb 2007 15:37 #112125 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic How to evict brake noise?
KaZooCruiser wrote:

Thanks for the tips given so far. . .I did the search for noisy, noisey and sqeeky. Squeeky should help me I think. Wish I had a spel checquer.

And on the offchance that someone actually spelt it right you might try squeaky:P :P

More
18 Feb 2007 17:34 #113435 by teddycp
Replied by teddycp on topic How to evict brake noise?
I had the same problem with my new brakes and the only way I found to shut them up was to sand the pads where the most glazing was happening. Seemed to work and the bike stops fine. I know you have sanded the rotors and pads, but have you tried sanding the pads only where there is some glazing? Other than that I don't have any other ideas.

Post edited by: teddycp, at: 2007/02/18 20:36

More
18 Feb 2007 20:13 #113473 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic How to evict brake noise?
I have the same problem with My front brakes,and I think it had to do with having sintered pads,as opposed to the old-school pads that were softer and didn't squeel.
I'm not too sure where to get them.I think I asked Jeff Saunders from Z1 Enterprises about this quite some time ago,but I don't remember if He has them or not.

1977 KZ1000 A-1