Brake problem!

More
16 Mar 2007 16:37 #120823 by napkin13
Brake problem! was created by napkin13
I have a 1982 KZ750 CSR and I just emptied the brake fluid after sitting for 10 years...It was quite lumpy...Anyhow, I filled the master cylinder to start bleeding it, did all i was supposed to, but its not building up any pressure, and air isnt coming out when i open the bleeder. Im not real sure what the problem is. Ive been working on it for about 45 min, and now I havew turned here. Anyone know? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2007 17:02 #120830 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic Brake problem!
Hang in there....it can take FOREVER to get any pressure, and even longer to get air out.
What I did was...
Fill master cylinder and pump away
Cracked open bleeders....put clear tubing on them and ran tubing into clean can with CLEAN fluid in it. Keep end of tubing UNDER fluid level.
It still took a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, tho. Dont let M/C go dry!!!!! Keep 'er topped up always.
After finally getting air out and fresh fluid running out the bleeders....close them and bungee or otherwise secure lever in "pulled in" position and let sit all nite. THAT should get all air out of everywhere.
Patience and keeping at it is key. Good luck.

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
16 Mar 2007 20:04 #120881 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Brake problem!
Hey napkin13,
There are two holes in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir. Are they both clear?

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
16 Mar 2007 20:31 #120894 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Brake problem!
three words:
Vacuum
Brake
Bleeder
Everything you need to know

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
17 Mar 2007 03:03 #120950 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Brake problem!
napkin13 wrote:

...just emptied the brake fluid after sitting for 10 years...It was quite lumpy...filled the master cylinder to start bleeding it...not building up any pressure, and air isnt coming out when i open the bleeder....

Believe brake system may need more than bleeding.

Caliper may have water and corrosion in area behind piston. Would remove caliper from bike, disassemble and clean it as possible to like-new condition, replacing rubber parts as needed. Minor pitting on the piston is okay if not leaking past the large rubber ring seal.

Here's a good "Flash Tutorial" about caliper repair:
oldmanhonda.com/MC/Rbrakes.html

Would also remove master cylinder from bike, disassemble and clean it as possible to like-new condition, replacing primary cup and piston as needed. Minor pitting inside bore is okay if not leaking past the cups. Okay to gently wet-sand the bore.

Bottle of rubbing alcohol with hand spray attachment is handy when cleaning, as is compressed air.

More detailed guidance is readily available if needed.

A KHI Factory Service Manual would be helpful.

:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
17 Mar 2007 06:05 #120961 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Brake problem!
Sometimes it works better if you DON'T pump, try opening bleeder and then slowely sqweez lever, then close bleeder and release lever, repeat as needed. Sometimes you can also gravity bleed on certain calipers, fill fluid but leave cap off (creates vacuum) loosen bleeder and wait. If fluid shows up in a couple minutes your on your way!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!