'78 650 - Where's the front fork air valve?

More
19 Mar 2007 15:09 #121655 by Marshall
I just bought the bike and I have the original owner's manual and a Kawasaki service manual for a slightly later model, but neither explains anything about the air pressure in the front fork. My bike seems different from the diagrams I've found on this site; at the top of each fork tube there is simply a flat, black, plastic cap. Underneath the cap is a 1/2" square recession that you can fit a socket wrench into, but not an air valve. I'm trying to check my fork oil - can I unscrew the cap at the top of each tube without having something blow up in my face?

Thanks for any input, I'm new at this motorcycle thing.

Marshall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2007 15:28 #121666 by dkmk
Grab your 1/2" dr. ratchet with an extension and unscrew it. It is very similar to a pipe plug. The spring underneath will be slightly compressed, but not enough to come up and take out your eye. :laugh:
Can't remember the exact spec, but I have a piece of 1/4 keystock with the measurement etched on it. (Something like 370mm, but don't quote someone going from memory :P ) The is the distance from the top of the tube, to the oil level. While there, measure the spring to make sure it is within the tolerance specified in the manual. Change the oil while you're there. I use tranny fluid. Speaking of "while you're there" (famous last words), when was the last time the fork seals were replaced? Now is the time if you think they might be due. Hope this helped. B)

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

More
19 Mar 2007 15:48 #121674 by HENRYJ
Replied by HENRYJ on topic '78 650 - Where's the front fork air valve?
No air valve on those forks, just spring loaded.

Where are the pictures?

More
19 Mar 2007 16:01 #121680 by Marshall
Replied by Marshall on topic '78 650 - Where's the front fork air valve?
Thanks guys. The guy I bought the bike from, whose word I trust, said that he just changed the fork oil so I'm only interested in getting the level right. He also told me that the level was probably too high, and the ride is very stiff so I assume that he was right. If someone gets a chance, could they post the correct oil level? My service manual describes the method for checking it, but for the 1981 model (not mine), so all I need is a number. I'll search the archives in the meantime.

There's always one forum for every model of car where you can get a quick response to your questions; its good to know the same is true of my new bike. Thanks again.

More
19 Mar 2007 17:21 #121697 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic '78 650 - Where's the front fork air valve?
Measure the distance from the top of the fork oil to the top of the fork tube by inserting a long (clean) rod/dowel:

Model D1 - 16.22 in. (412 mm)
Model D2 - 15.59 in. (396 mm).

Each fork tube is filled with approx. 5.6 oz. (165 cc) of 15W fork oil, when drained and refilled.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
19 Mar 2007 18:15 #121713 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic '78 650 - Where's the front fork air valve?
And just for a couple words of advice. Have the motorcycle on the centerstand preferably, or at the least wedge something under the front of the engine to keep it from dropping when you remove the fork cap. When you do remove the cap be ready when it's unthreaded because there is spring pressure and if the bike is on the sidestand the forks will compress and you'll most likely topple the bike over if you're simply sitting on the sidestand:angry:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
19 Mar 2007 20:40 #121765 by Marshall
Replied by Marshall on topic '78 650 - Where's the front fork air valve?
Okay, all done. Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my bike doesn't have a centerstand (no idea), but I managed to use blocks, wedges etc. to get it done right. The bike rides much, MUCH smoother now; it has a whole different feel, and I like it.