kz700 front brakes

More
06 May 2007 12:54 #137610 by kz700rider
kz700 front brakes was created by kz700rider
On the kz700 the brakes are not stopping me like they should. The lever still seems a bit squishy even after a bleed the lines.stamped on the side of the rotors it says MIN TH 4.5 MM. Both rotors measure at 4.7 MM.Obviously close to the mininum thickness.

Do I need new rotors?
Is the master cylinder going?

Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks

Post edited by: kz700rider, at: 2007/05/06 17:41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
06 May 2007 16:13 #137674 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic kz700 front brakes
have you tried flushing brake fluid or checking brake pads?;)

More
06 May 2007 18:04 #137701 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic kz700 front brakes
If you have bled the lines already then strap the brake lever tight to the grip with a bungee cord. This will allow any air still in the lines up and out into the master. Let this sit overnight and in the morning the lever should be firm. If it's not then maybe your hoses are just old and getting soft.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
06 May 2007 18:06 #137702 by steell
Replied by steell on topic kz700 front brakes
More than likely you still have air in the lines, it takes a llllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg time to bleed KZ brakes manually, like a couple of hours or so for the front brakes.
A vacuum brake bleeder (less than $20 at Harbor Freight) makes it a lot faster and easier.

KD9JUR

More
07 May 2007 08:23 #137871 by kz700rider
Replied by kz700rider on topic kz700 front brakes
The pads are still there. Ill try straping the lever down overnight and checking the hoses.

What about the rotors? Although they are close to the mininum thickness , should I replace them ?

More
07 May 2007 08:34 #137875 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic kz700 front brakes
I don't think You have to worry about the rotors.As long as they're within the limits,and they're not warped.

I had to unbolt My calipers from the bike,and hang them in a different position to get them to bleed properly.I know Others have had to do this as well.
I spent DAYS trying to get Mine to bleed out all the way,but in the end,the only way WAS to hang them at a different angle to get the last bit of air out.
There's a small pocket in there that won't bleed when they are mounted to the forks.
I just inserted a piece of plywood into each caliper,between each set of pads(dual front brakes)and went at it from there...and it DID eventually work.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1