weather cracking

More
02 Sep 2007 16:28 #168061 by arobsum
weather cracking was created by arobsum
i have this spare tire on a mag rim from the back of a police bike. my kz1000 rear went flat yesterday. question is, will a little bit of sidewall weather cracking be a big issue? i put the police tire assembly on, only to notice the weather cracking afterwards. i really don't want to mess with it anymore but safety first, right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2007 16:37 #168065 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic weather cracking
there is a code on the tire that tells how old it is, I think it in the info section, but I would replace it, no fun having a flat at speed

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
02 Sep 2007 20:50 #168124 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic weather cracking
well, it can't be too old. i got it off of a police bike. the sides have a few cracks from where it sat around for a long time. the tread looks good.

More
03 Sep 2007 06:50 #168174 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic weather cracking
If the only thing between you and the ground is a small patch of rubber.....................why take the risk ? Motorcycle tires are quite different than car tires. And for good reasons. Ride safe.

More
03 Sep 2007 06:58 #168177 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic weather cracking
arai60 wrote:

If the only thing between you and the ground is a small patch of rubber.....................why take the risk ? Motorcycle tires are quite different than car tires. And for good reasons. Ride safe.

true..i guess i didn't want to go out there and mess with it anymore....oh well.:) thanks guys.