Cable Lock

More
23 Sep 2007 22:57 #172463 by darmahsd
Cable Lock was created by darmahsd
I tried the search function on this one, came up blank.
Does anyone have the optional security cable that was available on early 80's KZ 550'S thru 1100's? For those not familiar, look for a short tube with a plastic cap covering it's end jutting out from either the left hand front downtube or rear frame tube. A plastic coated cable with a welded in barb on one end and a chrome loop for fixing a lock was available from Kawasaki as an accessory. When removing the cap off that pipe in the frame, you look and see an O ring and hole down in the frame. Once you slide it in, the barb in the cable keeps it from ever getting pulled completely out again and the O ring prevents water from entering the frame when the cable is retracted for use. I get into a little detail here because younger guys working at the dealers were unaware and not familiar with the device. I bought one when I had an '82 1100GPZ from new and it was a handy thing, hiding itself in the frame when not in use. My present '84 GPZ has the lug for one, but at the opposite end at the front left downtube. It takes a smaller diameter cable than the '82 used. It seemed like there were two diameters, one for the smaller displacement and one for larger KZ's. I noticed a smaller lug on an early eightie's KZ750 but mine looks the same. I have an opportunity to purchase either size but can't determine by the photos or numbers given as to which is the correct one. The seller is ignoring my inquiries as to which of the two available is the correct one for my bike and the Kawasaki dealers have been unable to help. If there is a slim chance that anyone has knowledge of the interchangeability of these cables, or what number fits what, it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to grab one of these before they are gone, despite the seller being someone I'd rather not patronize.

Thanks,
Stephen

Post edited by: darmahsd, at: 2007/09/24 02:06
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.