75 Z1 rear end makeover

• Kidkawie
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I bleed premix
More
18 Jan 2006 12:42 #18495 by Kidkawie
75 Z1 rear end makeover was created by Kidkawie
I saw this bike on eBay and was wondering what I need to build the rear end the same way. I've been reading posts for 2 days now but havent found anyone that still uses a spoke wheel.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2006 13:46 #18502 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 75 Z1 rear end makeover
i still you use spoked wheels and i love em!what do you have to work with and what are you trying to accomplish? goodluck,happy wrenching!

• Kidkawie
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I bleed premix
More
18 Jan 2006 14:09 #18506 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic 75 Z1 rear end makeover
It's funny you should ask...This was my fathers bike who purchased it brand new in 75 (I still have the receipt, ha ha). He re-married, and as the story goes...the Z sat for 14 years in his garage. It has 12k original miles on it. It is all original except for: Koni shocks, cone air filters, 4-1 pipe and a Vetter fairing. I have all of the original parts except the pipes. I'm on the fence as whether to restore the bike or turn it into something like the picture above. I love riding my 6R and want to get some use out of the Z this summer. As for the condition of the bike: Once it saw sunlight (after 14 years) the clearcoat began to deteriorate, the wheels need re-lacing (some rust), carbs cleaned, new tires and a battery. Other than that, just a real ggod cleaning & polish.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2006 14:52 #18515 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 75 Z1 rear end makeover
before you get too carried away id go through and fix all the things that arent up to par!tapered steering head bearings get the motor running right,good brakes and tires then start with the modifications a suzuki gs1100 swingarm is a good starting point then modify it from there as time and budget allow!my first big kaw was a 75 Z1 from my dad and uncle shawn 28yrs ago,so i too am partial to Z1s!goodluck happy wrenching!