extended stock swingarm

• madkawltd900
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jan 2008 10:33 #191121 by madkawltd900
extended stock swingarm was created by madkawltd900
Im considering lengthening my swingarm but dont necessarily care to fork over the money for a boxed type. Does anyone know how difficult it is for the average welder to do this? Should this be done by someone who deals specifically with motorcycles? What would the average cost of lenthening the stock unit by 2 inches or so?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2008 21:02 #191188 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic extended stock swingarm
there should be a bunch of posts on this somewhere in the archivesB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
26 Jan 2008 21:30 #191191 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic extended stock swingarm
I'm curious why anyone would want to do this? Not trying to get an uproar going, buy why in the world as it look rather goofy and I can't see any real benefit to the idea myself. I've looked at some of the pictures and wondered why???

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
26 Jan 2008 21:42 #191193 by PLUMMEN
you can gain about an inch in most cases by just sliding wheel back as far as it will go in the adjusters and running longer chain if you want to be sneaky about it.you can pick up a 82-83 suzuki gs1100 swingarm for around $150 usually which is probably cheaper than extending a stock arm and is a lot more rigid and will give you around 1 1/2" over stock arm.the main reason for running an extended arm is to hold down the frontend.ive seen some nice 2-3" over aluminum arms but some of 6-8" arms ive seen look more ike they belong on the back of a hill climbing dirtbike than a streetbike,not to mention you end up with the urning radius of a 60 passenger school bus!:P

More
27 Jan 2008 06:16 #191211 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic extended stock swingarm
I agree with Ron. Unless you want to drag race the bike or really just want the drag bike look it is a waste of time. You'll ruin the whole geometry of the bike. These are good handling bikes and with the "extended swing arm" the only handling you'll get will be on the freeway.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
28 Jan 2008 01:02 #191379 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic extended stock swingarm
I'll be using a 6 over arm on my bike with a gsxr wheel with a 190 tire. But it'll be low and mean so I have to keep the front end down. :woohoo:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
28 Jan 2008 13:02 #191454 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic extended stock swingarm
if you would like to lengthen your factory swingarm it is not a problem for someone with some fabricating skills.i like to completely retube the arm reusing the pivot and axle plates.that way you don't end up with some cobbled up tubes that might decide to fold up on you at the wrong time.some cr-mo is just a few bucks a foot.you will only need prolly four or five feet max.i would cut it apart and set it up on the layout table with v-blocks and long rods through the pivot tube and axle plates,so that you can measure it for square way out an the end of the rods.shouldn't cost more than a hundred bucks.need any help or advice pm me.

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
28 Jan 2008 18:25 #191524 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic extended stock swingarm
Plummen, you read my mind! I immediately thought of a time way back when I attended some hill climb drag races. 2 bikes would run side by side up a VERY steep hill after taking off using a drag strip set of lights. Many of the bikes with big paddle tires and lots of power had very long swing arms to keep them from wheelying over backwards. The fastest were modified Kawasaki 750 triples. They had to let off the gas about 20 or 30 feet from the top of the hill, and they would still go airborne. Great fun! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Jan 2008 18:50 #191535 by PLUMMEN
oh yeah,there is a hill climbing post on kawpen(the other kaw meat tm :P )about hill climbers.one has about 4' long swingarm and a supercharged kz motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: :P