Bel-Ray Chain lube

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 May 2008 13:39 #210733 by JR
Bel-Ray Chain lube was created by JR
I got a can last weekend ....New Bel-Ray super clean chain lube .........and I must say it is strange stuff. Put in on and it dries white. Does anyone have any experience of this stuff ? Is it any good ? It's certainly not cheap. Perhaps I was just to used to the old PJ1.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2008 20:39 #211190 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bel-Ray Chain lube
I haven't used it, but BelRay generally makes good stuff for bikes. Let us know how it works for you. I've been using a product called Chain Wax for the past several years because it seems to lube well and only slings a moderate amount off compared to the PJ1 I used in the past. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 May 2008 05:50 #211268 by macattak
Replied by macattak on topic Bel-Ray Chain lube
I like the DuPont chain lube. Very little fling. It doesn't seem to attract as much gunk as other lubes I've tried either.

More
05 May 2008 08:47 #211298 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Bel-Ray Chain lube
CHAINWAX!
Been using i for a few years now...no fling!

Spray it on,and leave it for about 20 minutes before you ride...wipe off any excess,and no mess!
Great for cables too!

www.northernmotorsports.com/UsedParts/index.php?productID=427

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
05 May 2008 09:42 #211316 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Bel-Ray Chain lube
It is that (explicative)-ing fling that keeps me from ever using my center stand cause I ain't got no handle or chain guard back there...

I want to try the wax..

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
05 May 2008 10:02 #211321 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Bel-Ray Chain lube
It's been my experience that lubes that "don't fling" also "don't lubricate". I've only tried 2 of them though, Kalgard and PJ1. I've mentioned the BG White Lightning lube before. It's not that widely available, but if all else fails Napa can order it. I've used it for nearly 40 years and always get 40-60,000 miles out of a chain. Of course there's really no way to do a chain lube test really except ride and observe. I used PJ1 riding from CO back to Connecticut on a GPZ1100 and the chain was shot by the time I got home. Used my BG on the KZ1000 riding back to the east coast and back numerous times with no problem. That was enough test for me to stay with what works.
I really don't mind fling. As strange as this sounds, the fling of the BG lube wipes right off with a dry rag. You guys that don't fling using those other lubes still fling a little, and that little is a royal pain in the ass because it won't wipe off easily and makes a huge mess over time.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 May 2008 18:21 #211651 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Bel-Ray Chain lube
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll stick with the Bel-Ray for a while and see how it goes. I did'nt mind the fling of the PJ1 - not to worried about cosmetics - but Ron's experience wiht hat product convinced me to give the Bel-Ray and decent try.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
07 May 2008 07:17 #211750 by macattak
Replied by macattak on topic Bel-Ray Chain lube
I don't have any problem at all with cleaning off the fling. Using the DuPont my chains last just as long, if not longer, and stay much cleaner than using the gunk lubes.

More
07 May 2008 23:34 #211989 by MadKaw500
Replied by MadKaw500 on topic Bel-Ray Chain lube
use the chain wax on my dirt bikes and street bikes with always good result and wear time