Considered using C4 (front axle nut removal)

More
04 May 2008 18:50 #211157 by rtrider73
Help!

Impact gun has no effect on breaking the front axle nut loose on a 79 kz650B3. :angry:

Any pearls of wisdom out there? :S

Thanks.

~R

Oh yeah managed to crack the speedometer housing in half while I was at it.:blush:
Anyone got a spare for sale?
I should have stayed in the garden today.......:blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2008 19:47 #211174 by steell
Bigger impact gun? Like maybe a 3/4" or a 1"? :D

I'm assuming you have removed the lower axle clamps and have the wheel assembly off the bike?

Assuming you do, you might try a propane torch on the nut to expand it and persuade it to loosen it's death grip on the axle :)

KD9JUR

More
04 May 2008 20:04 #211180 by 650ed
As Steell wrote, you must remove (or loosen) the lower axle clamps first. Then I would soak both axle nuts with Kroil for a couple days. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 May 2008 02:10 #211238 by rtrider73
Replied by rtrider73 on topic Considered using C4 (front axle nut removal)
Yes to the lower axle clamps being loosened.
Followed the manual on this one.
Odd, the nut/axle assembly looks as clean as can be with no visible corrosion that would indicate the use of any penetrating solvents but I'm not above trying that next, then the torch which is always my favorite.:evil:

Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel.....

~R

More
05 May 2008 05:35 #211264 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Considered using C4 (front axle nut removal)
No offence meant but righty tighty, lefty loosie? I know people who try to loosen by turning wrong way. Nuts should be at about 55lbs torque, not a whole lot. Let us know...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
05 May 2008 10:18 #211326 by Qdude
Pardon the explicative, but that goddamn nut had me thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me. You know, looks like a nut on an axle, but is actually just one solid piece of metal!

I partially rounded the corners off of the nut getting mine off. Odd thing was, once one side had come off, the other side came off easily as well. What are the odds/chances of that?

Sorry man, just know you are not alone.

P.S. I bet on one level it felt cathartic to break something when that nut wouldn't come off. Sorry about the speedo housing.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you