Opinions

More
06 May 2008 20:54 - 06 May 2008 20:57 #211694 by dkmk
Opinions was created by dkmk
Well I just swapped out the stock handlebars on the 650C2 with a set of Drag Bars , as I wanted to give the bike a sportier look. I suppose I should give them a chance, but on my first ride out this year, had a hard time getting used to them. They look great, and I suppose with short jaunts, it wouldn't be a problem, but I've averaged a half a dozen or more road trips of 800 (plus) miles per summer (over the last three summers). I can't see doing that kind of distance with those bars. On a related note, I also put on a set of bar end mirrors, but wasn't crazy about them either.
Just curious if anyone has installed the Superbike Bars , and how they compare to the stock bars? These look like they would help me accomplish what I originally set out to do, and still retain a more upright position for longer rides. Any info appreciated. B)

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."
Last edit: 06 May 2008 20:57 by dkmk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2008 21:56 #211703 by po boy
Replied by po boy on topic Opinions
Don't do anything to the bike that makes ya want to ride it less, that's for sure.

1980 KZ750E1
2002 Hayabusa

More
07 May 2008 03:31 #211712 by madderkaw
Replied by madderkaw on topic Opinions
I have Superbike bars on my 650. They are way better than the roto-tiller bars that came on the bike. I had to change turn signals because they were bar mounted on the LTD, but it was well worth the trouble. I have clubmans on my 900 and I like them even better, but they had clearance issues on the 650.

More
07 May 2008 03:57 #211714 by jimmybon
Replied by jimmybon on topic Opinions
I'v found that about 2 1/2" rise and about 28" wide leaves a nice riding position, in the old days they were called English touring bars.

74 Z1A900 original
74 Z1A900 stone replica
74Z1A900 barn find
77 Z650B1 Hybrid
81 z650 PIG camp bike
06 ZRX1200R cafe racer project
S1000xr

More
07 May 2008 05:55 #211735 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Opinions
I agree with JimmB. You want to go distance go touring. But by far the best advice I ever got was pay attention to your wrist angle. If you got to twist your wrist off center you get tired and get pain for distance riding. Plus I like to be somewhat on my thighs and less on my tailbone. A little leaning into the wind is good. That is unless you got a full sail windjammer cutting it for you. Holding your self upright in a wind blast is very tiring.... as is laying on the tank. Kind of a happy medium is best in my view.B)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
07 May 2008 07:04 #211747 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Opinions
Superbike bars is what I used on all my trips, many days over 1000 miles. What they do for you is balance you a little better in the wind, plus take some of the weight off sitting square on your rear end by sitting upright with the stock high bars. If I was going to do any more long rides I would use them again. Puttering around the city, and short rides I still prefer the stock bars and think the stockers look better, mainly because they are stock probably. :)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
09 May 2008 06:02 - 09 May 2008 06:02 #212267 by timb33
Replied by timb33 on topic Opinions
I've attempted to apply them to my 1100 A1. For me, the only install issue was that the master cylinder line's bolt at the cycliner res box had to be adjusted so that the L-shaped bolt / connector will point forward of the handlebars instead of downwards. The controls fit for me, but very compactly when compared to the LTD bars on stock. I've still got to ride with them, but I suspect they'll give me just enough forward lean to off-set the wind at speeds > 60 mph yet remain heads-up.
Last edit: 09 May 2008 06:02 by timb33.