Frame rust removal

More
22 Feb 2006 16:37 #25709 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Frame rust removal
Look for some stuff called "DURO EXTEND RUST TREATMENT"
Its made by Loctite.
If you can find it , it reacts with the rust and turns it into a very dark brown primer ,stops the rust also.
You can spray paint right over it.
Its crazy stuff , for what you want to do ,just cut up a new sponge into the little size you need and dab this stuff on .:)

1974 Z1a, still 903

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2006 16:37 #25710 by MDawnz1
Its made by Loctite.
If you can find it , it reacts with the rust and turns it into a very dark brown primer ,stops the rust also.
Its crazy stuff , for what you want to do ,just cut up a new sponge into the little size you need and dab this stuff on .:)

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
22 Feb 2006 16:38 #25711 by MDawnz1
Its made by Loctite.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
22 Feb 2006 16:38 #25712 by MDawnz1
Its made by Loctite.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
22 Feb 2006 18:44 #25741 by oldcuda68
Replied by oldcuda68 on topic Frame rust removal
Make sure you prime the bare metal surface with some type of self etching primer. It will bond to the metal making it ready for regular primer or high build primer. I did my frame that way. 1. Bare metal primed with self etching. 2. Primed the whole thing with Dulpicolor primer. 3. Painted frame with chassis black. Looks better than new!!

Mark

1980 KZ750 LTD
1984 Honda GL1200 Interstate
Too many other toys to mention

More
25 Feb 2006 20:30 #26461 by rm3sweet
Replied by rm3sweet on topic Frame rust removal
Media blast is the way to go but with no money and lazy I like the "Naval Jelly" method. I've been using it since I was a kid. I had a chrome bike that would show rust stains at the welds and would clean it right off. Just don't do what I did and leave the paint brush you apply with in the bottle. Went to use it next time....no brush? hmmm?