75 Z1B weird frame issue

More
10 Nov 2008 18:52 - 10 Nov 2008 19:09 #246723 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 75 Z1B weird frame issue
i think im gonna make call to topeka tomorrow to see how busy the frame doctor is!im getting some expensive ideas in my head that he might be able to help me with!:laugh:im thinking a little bit of a rake and a haircut soi can finish these damn gussets i keep moving from shelf to shelf!:blush: :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2008 19:09 by PLUMMEN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2008 05:29 #246771 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic 75 Z1B weird frame issue
rake what hair,, we have seen the pics,,,,lmao

PLUMMEN wrote:

i think im gonna make call to topeka tomorrow to see how busy the frame doctor is!im getting some expensive ideas in my head that he might be able to help me with!:laugh:im thinking a little bit of a rake and a haircut soi can finish these damn gussets i keep moving from shelf to shelf!:blush: :laugh:

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
11 Nov 2008 08:07 #246795 by PLUMMEN
12-6,he works my kind of hours!:laugh:

More
13 Nov 2008 13:27 #247228 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 75 Z1B weird frame issue
I would have to assume that it is the bearing issue. Put some timkin (sp?)roller bearings in it. If you put it on its center stand and have someone sit on the back you can find out quickly. Both of my bikes are shot after thirty years. There will be a pronounced spot that will want to click into center. This is the easiest way I know of to tell besides the fact of how old the bike is. Those old bearings have taken lots of hits from bumps and were never the greatest to begin with. My other bike when it was windy was totally scary to ride and now I figured out why. The wheels don't track well when the bearings are shot. REPLACE them even if you don't think they are bad. Would be willing to bet that problem will go away. Also the wheel bearings could use replacing and they are not too expensive.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
13 Nov 2008 18:44 #247258 by PLUMMEN
BSKZ650 wrote:

rake what hair,, we have seen the pics,,,,lmao

PLUMMEN wrote:

2-3 degree rake on frame and trim off a few more brackets!:laugh:

More
20 Dec 2008 18:38 #253750 by PLUMMEN
Bad Kaw wrote:

Brian Lewis at Extreme Cycle in Topeka, Kansas. He straightens frames for AMA road race teams as well as Joe-average-motorcyclist. He's reasonable. Call him and drop my name (Kenton Russell).
785-234-5007
PS> I will put my name behind Brian Lewis and the work that he does; you will not have a problem with his work, I've known him for over 20 years.

The wife took off this morning for 2 weeks in mexico,30 minutes later i decided to sneak out of here and go to topeka.:laugh: so ihopped in the wifes mini van with my turbo bike frame and raised a snow storm out of town!:laugh: anyway i got it to him so he can throw it on his frame jig and make sure everything is square then hes going to throw 3 degrees into it while its sitting there and fix a few other issues with it that are irritating me.hes got a few other frames to fix 1st said it will be a couple weeks before he gets to it,i told him no big deal at the pace ive been moving on it a couple weeks even a month is no big deal!:woohoo: B)