speed calculator

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
09 Dec 2008 09:54 #251623 by pstrbrc
speed calculator was created by pstrbrc
OK, the board is just acting weird. Yeah, some of you have noticed it. But, on a "I don't know what's going on \" thread SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE Lou (loudvhx) posted a link to a speed calculator .hta file he made up for KZ550s, and I thought that would be really cool, so I started looking for the ratios for my bike ('81GPz1100) so I could pirate his file and make a speed calculator for thye big bikes.
Lo and behold, (I'll bet nobody has used that on THIS message board before!!!!!) I came across this:
www.gearingcommander.com/
It's a calculator for over 300 bikes. You plug in your bike, rear tire size, and front & back sprocket, and it'll show you speed/rpm for all your gears. Now, it doesn't have a lot of classic Kaws, but the calculator for an '81 1000LTD seems to used the same ratios as my bike, and then I just have to enter my tire size. So, no excuses! You want to see what a gear change will do to your speeds, or what it will to to your rpm at a speed, here's the place to go!
BTW, this has convinced me that a 16/37 sprocket package is too what I want!
Now comes the fun part. I'm gonna click the [submit] button, and we'll see where this goes!

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2008 13:44 #251810 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic speed calculator
that chart is awesome i plan on running a bike at bonnieville and at the texas mile and now i know all the combo's to hit 200+ mph it also shows the rpm you will run for different mile an hour on the street and how many times a certain tooth will make contact with a given link on your chain that is such good info.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
10 Dec 2008 15:31 #251832 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic speed calculator
according to the chart it will take 17-33 combo to hit 204 mph at 10000 rpm. so with wind drag i should be able to run at least 180 plus mph with that 1393cc motor of mine

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
10 Dec 2008 16:54 - 10 Dec 2008 17:34 #251847 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic speed calculator
Yeah, I believe I used gearing commander in the past and confirmed my results (long hand on a calculator) before I wrote the program in my signature.

If anyone wants a custom KZ calculator based on my program I can make one. I just need to know the ratios and the crank-to-secondary gearing and secondary-to-clutch-basket ratios. That is, if the motor/trans layout is the same as the 550's. I think the 400/440 motors and maybe the 750 twins have a different architecture with the balance shafts etc.

I didn't think anyone came across the ghost post. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up on the HTML tag. It was there when I started, but it must have been deleted by accident somehow. The strange thing is, most IE versions no longer really care about it so it never showed up as a problem on the various WinX machines I've tried it on.

I'll correct it. I'm a newb at VB and that was my first program. I'm still trying to keep straight the differences between HTML scripting and HTML applications (.hta). Sometimes the program works when it's .html and sometimes it has to be .hta in order for security settings to allow it to run.

EDIT: I added the HTML tag at the top, but my Comcast server automatically removes the tag. Very strange. But when I upload it as a .html file instead of .hta, it leaves the HTML tag at the top. Please let me know if the link in my signature works now without any mods.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2008 17:34 by loudhvx.

More
10 Dec 2008 20:09 #251896 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic speed calculator
loudhvx wrote:

... let me know if the link in my signature works now without any mods.

Brought the site right up. :)

Site

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Dec 2008 22:54 - 10 Dec 2008 23:23 #251909 by loudhvx
Thanks patton,

Well, I'm not sure which way to go now. If I leave it as a .html, then the text-file generator acts goofy. It sends the text file to the desktop on one computer I tested it on. On my home computer, it does not create the text file at all. It must be due to security settings, I guess.

But if I keep it as a .hta, the text-file generation works for me, but the program in general may not work for others since the HTML tag gets removed. (Maybe not a problem... see EDIT below.)

I may just eliminate the text-file generator since people can just highlight, copy and paste the output straight into a notepad, wordpad, or Word program if they want.

... Still working on it.

EDIT: Ok, I uploaded both versions (they are identical right now, except for the filetype in the filename. It appears the HTML is not being removed, at the moment, from the .hta version so I must have accidentally deleted the "HTML" tag.

I'm going to just stick with the .hta version and alter the code for when the text-file generator doesn't work. I'll give a message or something to say it only works when downloaded to the hard drive. (Right now, if you don't download it, it goes through the motions as if it generated the file, but it didn't actually do anything.)
Last edit: 10 Dec 2008 23:23 by loudhvx.

More
11 Dec 2008 07:34 #251945 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic speed calculator
Now, clicking your sig link shows a screen saying file being downloaded with options to open or save.

Clicking "open" pulls the site right up.

The link shown in my previous post (which went straight to the site) now returns an error message about being unable to locate the page.

Knowing you're already way ahead on this, am just confirming what's happening on my end using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Dec 2008 08:04 #251953 by loudhvx
Thanks Patton. Yeah, I deleted the .html version which is the link on your post, but I may still go back to it depending on some testing I'm about to do.