Petcock bolt leak

More
26 Dec 2008 19:52 #254795 by cnyl
Petcock bolt leak was created by cnyl
Before mounting my petcock I checked my o-ring, it had no cracks and was pliable. Bolted it up to the tank , put some fuel in the tank to test for leaks and one of the bolts was seeping very slowly. I took the bolt out, tried to put sealant on it, teflon tape on it and it still seeped. It seems like it's seeping between the washer and the lock nut. Is there any way to fix this? Maybe an easy fix? :huh:

Thanks ;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2008 20:25 #254800 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Petcock bolt leak
As I recall, petcock was mounted w/ 2 flanged/philips bolts. petcock body sealed to tank w/ goofy sectioned /bridged "o-ring". bolts sealed via either fibre or plastic washers, neither usually stocked. in a pinch, copper, aluminum washers work, luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
27 Dec 2008 05:13 #254831 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic Petcock bolt leak
Thanks gane.
The bolts that came out of the petcock has 10mm heads on them with a washer and lock nut mounted on them. So I should use something with out a lock nut washer on it?
Thanks

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
27 Dec 2008 05:44 #254832 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Petcock bolt leak
The parts diagrams show only flat washers and no lock washers.

Am uncertain whether the design for attaching the petcock allows end of bolt to reach into fuel so that the threads are constantly exposed to fuel supply. Perhaps it's supposed to be that way. But thinking maybe a too long bolt was used which penetrated into the tank fuel supply. Just guessing. :unsure:

Might try some Permatex sealer in the thread area.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Dec 2008 11:06 #254926 by cnyl
Thanks Patton.
I'm not sure what kind of sealer I should use. I want to be able to get it out in the future. I have some Indian Head Gasket sealer that says it's petroleum resistant. Would that work? I know the stuff gets hard as rock when dry. I'd probably snap the bolt trying to get it out. But that's me.:laugh: The easiest things are the hardest most of the time.:blush:

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
27 Dec 2008 13:26 #254947 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Petcock bolt leak
Yes the bolts extend all the way into gas. They should have a plastic washer to seal. In all these years I've never had a bolt leak or need sealed, however I've never taken a petcock off and reinstalled it without leaking unless the oring is replaced or sealed. Use Yamabond #4 or equiv.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Dec 2008 17:58 #254985 by cnyl
Yamabond #4 gotcha ;) Are the plastic washers available? Thanks Ron

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
27 Dec 2008 18:40 #254989 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Petcock bolt leak
Lad, you had me freaking out for a sec, the bolts that secure petcock are 6mm 1.0 threads. about 18mm in length. they have a 10mm head however, and thread into open nuts which are welded to the inside of tank and indeed open to its volumn of fuel. if you look at the sealing oring of petcock, you'll see, the only thing keeping fuel from following the bolt is the thread's and the bolts head/shoulder/seal to petcock body. threads are generally, about 70% contact and are not designed to seal, simply draw things together.lock washers keep tension on things, and provide no seal anywhere. std flat washers at least would provede some seal between bolt and body.tefon tape and most sealers are eaten by gas. shouldered bolts (IE, Bolts which have in effect a flat washer melded into the body of bolt below head)& sealing washers be they aluminum , copper, plastic,fibre, are the fix. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
28 Dec 2008 05:06 #255055 by cnyl
Thanks G.
Gonna see if I can remove the lock nuts from the bolts with out hurting the washers. If not i'll get different bolts.
;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill