Cheap & Sleazy

More
25 Mar 2006 15:51 #34246 by KzJim
Cheap & Sleazy was created by KzJim
So i am restoring a set of Mulholland shocks and dont have a spring compressor. I fooled around with a few ideas and some scrap steel.. with out any real sucess.
however i did come up with this.. no special tools required, just 1 bar clamp, one C-clamp some heavy gauge wire and a tie-down strap... not pretty but it worked great and the spring didnt go flying around the garage...:P

Just compress the shock, once its far enough in, clamp the spring to the bar clamp, release pressure and pull out the shaft and the retainer comes right out. use the wire to keep the shock from going anywhere just incase, same for the tie-down... just release the c-clamp and the spring will pop loose safely.

Post edited by: kzjim, at: 2006/03/25 18:54

Post edited by: kzjim, at: 2006/03/25 18:55

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
25 Mar 2006 16:32 #34260 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic Cheap & Sleazy
I nsee your out in the garage too .. Ouch if that spring would get away

More
25 Mar 2006 17:58 #34284 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Cheap & Sleazy
Sure am.. lot o projects today.... whats nice is i only needed to compress the spring about an inch or so.. so there wasnt a bunch of pressure on it. worked like a charm.

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.

More
25 Mar 2006 20:55 #34322 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic Cheap & Sleazy
Nothing like figuring out a new way to do something.
But when i saw "Cheap and Sleazy"...thought this about my Ex!!!!:woohoo: :whistle:

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
26 Mar 2006 09:10 #34417 by Scotty355
Replied by Scotty355 on topic Cheap & Sleazy
just a thought but maybe next time weld a small tab on the c clamp to hook into the spring and sides onto the bar clamp ends so it does not slip out. better safe than sorry.

More
26 Mar 2006 11:18 #34446 by letthegoodtimesroll
Replied by letthegoodtimesroll on topic Cheap & Sleazy
If you bought a piece of PCV pipe a little bigger in dia. and shorter in length it should work perfect! Just slide it on over the shock. ;)

Post edited by: letthegoodtimesroll, at: 2006/03/26 14:19

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

More
26 Mar 2006 11:33 #34448 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Cheap & Sleazy
whatever it takes to get the job done right

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
26 Mar 2006 13:13 #34468 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Cheap & Sleazy
I thought about modifing my clamp, but I'll prob never us it again.. so i didnt want to ruin a perfectly good clamp... thats where the wire thru the eye's came from... thru the eye's around the bar clamp.. if the spring should try and escape the wire wont let it get away... and IF there should be enough tension on the spring to break the wire... i got no business messin with it in the first place.