leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
16 Mar 2010 12:48 #353876 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Straight frame
How far is your bike disassembled at the moment? A better question may be how far are you willing to strip the bike down to check the frame. Everyone has given good suggestions to check various aspects of alignment, but I think to really check it out you may need to remove both wheels and the engine. I suppose it just depends on how much you really want to check out B)

Damn Leon, that's not a frame jig, its a frame room! :ohmy:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Mar 2010 14:12 #353885 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Straight frame
531blackbanshee wrote:

mark,here is what you need :) .

leon

Oh Hell. Now that u mention it. i think i have 1 of those in a drawer somewhere. lol.:laugh:
Nice, looks like something made in Japan , bud.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Mar 2010 14:17 - 16 Mar 2010 14:25 #353888 by mark1122
porchev914 wrote:

How far is your bike disassembled at the moment? A better question may be how far are you willing to strip the bike down to check the frame. I suppose it just depends on how much you really want to check out B)

I am just in the research mode right now. I have to paint my frame anyways. i was hoping to do it this winter, but that didn’t pan out. i will plan on a complete tare down next winter, and if i can do some checks and tweaks while its apart, that would be great. Depending on how difficult this would be. U make it look , WAAAY too easy .:laugh:
So how do i check the neck in reference to the pivot? i like the idea that Gane had. using cones on a rod to center the rods. hell i may be able to put my old stem in and put a rod through it?
So i can picture it with these 2 rod sticking through it. now how do i correlate them together?
I wouldn’t have to reaf on these, just use them for measuring, and then put something heavier in there to pry while cutting and heating. Damb , u make it sound easy.lol
How can i get a laser to work for this?Kawickrice ?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 16 Mar 2010 14:25 by mark1122.

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Mar 2010 14:28 #353889 by mark1122
650ed wrote:

Assuming that you don't find a serious frame problem, and since the wheels are parallel, could you align them by using or rearranging spacers on the rear axle to shift the rear wheel left or right as needed? Ed

I could align the wheels Ed, but it will put my rear wheel into the chain, requireing a larger offset sporcket up front. it is already out more than i would like.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Mar 2010 15:03 #353893 by mark1122
i have already ran string lines from the ceiling(plumb lines), parallel to the 2 wheels to verify that they are both true with each other. it seems like the neck may be mounted true but to 1 side of center. i have heard that this was a common KZ trait. if this is the case , it must be off quite a bit.
It is not the end of the world if i dont fix this, but it would be cool , if i could.
i do have a high speed weave(at speed,while at a lean), but i dont think it is related to this.I will try dif tire this year to see if that helps. the Pilot Powers front tire wore in a cup pattern, so it will be interesting to see if new tires solve this.
Anyone else running Pilot Powers, notice a weave??

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
16 Mar 2010 15:29 #353897 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Straight frame
You could make it easier on yourself by leaving your triples and fork tubes in place. Your fork tubes are in the same longitudinal plane as your stem (hopefully!) With the tubes straight ahead and perpendicular to the stearing head, any centerline measurement between the fork tubes will be the alignment of the head. This also assumes your forks aren't bent :blink:
Kawickrices suggestion of a 2 way self leveling line laser will go a long way toward simplifying your alignment check. With a couple of quality levels, a plumb Bob, a 2 way self leveling line laser, a straight edge or way to make a axle to axle reference line and
Jackstands to support things, you should be able to thouroghly check your frame with a minor tool investment. Now if you discover you have to fix something? Hole other ball game boss :silly:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
16 Mar 2010 15:54 #353900 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Straight frame
mark1122 wrote:

i have already ran string lines from the ceiling(plumb lines), parallel to the 2 wheels to verify that they are both true with each other. it seems like the neck may be mounted true but to 1 side of center. i have heard that this was a common KZ trait. if this is the case , it must be off quite a bit.
It is not the end of the world if i dont fix this, but it would be cool , if i could.
i do have a high speed weave(at speed,while at a lean), but i dont think it is related to this.I will try dif tire this year to see if that helps. the Pilot Powers front tire wore in a cup pattern, so it will be interesting to see if new tires solve this.

Are you running regular Pilot Powers or 2CT's. I had the 2CT's on my zx-10r last year and it cupped. Really screwed with my handling. Replaced the front with a BT-016 and all is well. I think that I would replace that tire before riding season, so that you can enjoy your summer. With the cupped tire, I was constantly adjusting my line in a corner.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Mar 2010 16:45 #353910 by mark1122
testarossa wrote:

mark1122 wrote:

Are you running regular Pilot Powers or 2CT's. I had the 2CT's on my zx-10r last year and it cupped. Really screwed with my handling. Replaced the front with a BT-016 and all is well. I think that I would replace that tire before riding season, so that you can enjoy your summer. With the cupped tire, I was constantly adjusting my line in a corner.

just the plain Powers.i put a couple braces on the frame. i will change the back tire to a sport tour(i want to try a stiffer tire). if the weave is still there with the new bracing, then i will change the front tire, to see how it changes the weave.
Just a bit of an experiment.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Mar 2010 16:51 #353914 by mark1122
porchev914 wrote:

You could make it easier on yourself by leaving your triples and fork tubes in place. Your fork tubes are in the same longitudinal plane as your stem (hopefully!) With the tubes straight ahead and perpendicular to the stearing head, any centerline measurement between the fork tubes will be the alignment of the head. This also assumes your forks aren't bent :blink:
Kawickrices suggestion of a 2 way self leveling line laser will go a long way toward simplifying your alignment check. With a couple of quality levels, a plumb Bob, a 2 way self leveling line laser, a straight edge or way to make a axle to axle reference line and
Jackstands to support things, you should be able to thoroughly check your frame with a minor tool investment. Now if you discover you have to fix something? Hole other ball game boss :silly:

I think your right. i should be able to figure it out if i get enough string , lasers, and levels. lol.

How about this.
i put a straight rod through the pivot, sticking out equal on both sides.i drop a plumb line down to each end. now i pick a point along each plumb line, and measure to the center of the neck. it should be an equal distance from each line. I dont think it will be though. lol.
sounds simple enough.:woohoo:

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
16 Mar 2010 18:43 #353935 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Straight frame
mark1122 wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

start with a level across the bottem 2 backbone tubes where coils mount and another across top of steering head with trees and front end removed is the area id be looking at.

How do u referance the 3 levels to each other? Not sure what this is going to tell me?:side:

If youve got a bare frame id sit the frame up on some crates to where the level on the bottem backbone tubes are level,then id lay another torpedo level across top of steering head to see if it is reading the same.
If the 2 levels dont read the same youve got something out of wack.not a really scientific approach,but it gives you a basic go or no go for your base line B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Mar 2010 07:50 #354012 by mark1122
I see what your saying.
Thats worth a try. Thanks.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)