Newbie here and to riding.Looking for instruction

More
21 Jul 2010 15:26 #384416 by cudaeater
Looking for help/tips/instructions on how to change sprockets and chain on my 82 KZ550ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2010 16:17 #384427 by MFolks
Have you ordered new sprockets and chain yet? Decided to go up one tooth on the engine sprocket and maybe down the same on the rear sprocket?

I use www.gearingcommander.com when figuring new sprocket and chain ratio's.

I don't know the specific operations for changing the engine(or countershaft sprocket) on your bike, but it's probably pretty close to what I have to do on my 82 GPz1100 B2.

1.I remove the foot shifter lever from the shaft,left foot peg assembly, and possibly the cover for the starter motor.

2.Keep the chain on the sprockets to aid in busting the nut holding the engine sprocket to the output shaft.

3.On some bikes, a special washer is used to secure the engine sprocket to the large nut.

4.It might require using a hammer and screw driver to bend the washer's locking tabs flat.

5.I have to use, (I believe a 22mm socket), with a long 1/2" breaker bar to loosen up the countershaft sprocket nut. The engine will have to be in gear for additional resistance to turning when loosening the engine sprocket nut(your bike is probably different).

6.If the chain is the "Endless" type, it will need to be cut off, either use a hacksaw or dremel too with a cutoff blade.Either that,or remove the swing arm and take the chain off this way(makes for an envolved job rmoving/reinstalling the swing arm/rear wheel/shocks).

7.There are many bikes on the road running drive chains with master links,as long as the chain is properly cared for by lubrication and tensioning, I see no problem

If you go up or down in sprocket sizes, you might luck out in not having to buy a longer chain.But keep this in mind if you find your new chain is too short.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
21 Jul 2010 16:57 #384441 by TexasKZ
loudhvx has a manual you can download from his signature line. Do a search for kz550 and you'll likely find a post from his with the link in it. Otherwise, pm him and I'm sure he'd be glad to share.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough