Need help with squeeky brakes

• DesertWizardB1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Apr 2006 17:47 #42642 by DesertWizardB1
Replied by DesertWizardB1 on topic Need help with squeeky brakes
Thanks for all the replies. rammy, that's a good idea but unfortunately the pads are already beveled. loudhvx, when I replaced the pads on my wife's car I saved the shims from the old brakes because I was thinking the same thing. I will have to cut them to the right size. I just hope with the increased thickness I will still be able to fit the pads over the rotor. If I can't find original Kawasaki pads like wireman and Ronkz650 suggested at a reasonable price I will try the shims and post the results.
thanks,

Len

77 KZ 1000 LTD Original Owner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DesertWizardB1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2006 19:31 #46036 by DesertWizardB1
Replied by DesertWizardB1 on topic Need help with squeeky brakes
Well I think I finally quieted down these brakes by trying every suggestion in this thread. First, I decided to go back to the first set of pads that I replaced becaused they squeeled because they didn't squeel as bad as the new vesrah pads. These pads had straight edges so I beveled them. Then I cut a groove in the pads with a hacksaw blade. Finally, I cut shims for the piston side pad and put anti-squeel goop between the pad and shim and compressed it in a vise until it dried. I also put the same goop on the back of the other pad. I have put about 100 miles on the brakes and there still quiet without the slightest squeek. Here is a pic of the shim I cut out of an old car shim. Thanks to all that replied for your suggestions.

users.adelphia.net/~lbilling/images/motorcycle/brakepads.JPG

Len

77 KZ 1000 LTD Original Owner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.