• jbw7300
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • you can't ride if your fried
More
19 May 2006 03:59 #48388 by jbw7300
speedo drive was created by jbw7300
took the old kz700 out for it's first ride yesterday
everything works great! but i noticed after hitting a big bump the speedo stoped working, got home pulled the speedo cable and it was broke, the cable had drove the speedo drive down too far bent the cable and broke the end off :angry: now i did drop the guages about 2-3 inches so i have lots of extra slack, have two questions

1. should the speedo drive lock to the forks between the two notches?

2. are most of the speedo cables compatible? cause i can get shorter ones from z1

thanks Jeff

84 kz 700 a1 sports

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2006 04:09 #48389 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic speedo drive
Hey Jeff,
I've messed with the drive units and cables enough to rack up some experience. The sending unit should key into nubs on the fork so it cant get twisted around. There are different length cables out there- I've got a brand new one hanging around that was a few inches too short for my 750. Be aware- I found there are at least two different sending units, they look identical but the male threaded section that the cable nut screws onto is a different diameter:angry:
I got back in business with a cable from eBay and a drive gear from a junker... might have some parts that could help you out:side:

• jbw7300
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2006 16:29 #48723 by jbw7300
Replied by jbw7300 on topic speedo drive
I can't belive it went to the stealership and the had the cable i was looking for and it only cost me $18.00 for factory kawasaki!!! now if I can get them to make me some of those discontinued parts..........

84 kz 700 a1 sports

More
21 May 2006 06:48 #48825 by DanOz7Five0
Replied by DanOz7Five0 on topic speedo drive
Nevco48 wrote:

Hey Jeff,
Be aware- I found there are at least two different sending units, they look identical but the male threaded section that the cable nut screws onto is a different diameter:angry:

Yeah I found that out too. The difference in diameter is barely noticeable too. I got my new speedo cable from the dealer too and it doesnt quite fit my drive unit. Its working, I wrapped some teflon tape on the drive unit to make it "bigger" I have some extra drives though that Im going to see if they work. If not I wonder if I could put the old "nut" from the old cable on my new cable and them Id have to taper the bottom of the new cable to hold it all in place.

• jbw7300
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 May 2006 07:00 #48828 by jbw7300
Replied by jbw7300 on topic speedo drive
I don't know if it will work but you might try a helicoil, thread it on your drive and see if the nut will thread onto it would be a reall cheap fix

84 kz 700 a1 sports