Brake Line Availability

More
28 Jul 2006 08:59 #65417 by bemoore
Brake Line Availability was created by bemoore
Where can I get replacement rubber brake lines? I recently disassembled my front master cylinder and calipers, cleaned them out, and re-assembled. I am having trouble getting the system to bleed properly, and I'm suspecting the 30 year old lines. Are brake lines generic like spark plugs? I.e. instead of needing a KZ650 specific brake line, I need a brake line of x length and y diameter with z fittings? If so, who sells lines at a decent price?

Thanks.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2006 14:38 #65479 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Brake Line Availability

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
28 Jul 2006 22:09 #65576 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Brake Line Availability
Hey bemore. I priced out original lines from Kawasaki and instead decided to put Russell stainless braided lines on my '77 Kz650/810. I ordered them from my local bike shop and each of the three lines set me back about $35 including the banjo bolt fittings. With the Russell lines you can order the exact length in one inch increments, and boy do they look trick. Give your friendly local bike shop a call or touch base with Jeff @ Z1 Enterprises.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
1977 Kz 650 Custom with 14,000 original miles. Bought new by my brother in '77. Latest incarnation includes 810 Wiseco kit, WG Mikuni 28's, Velocity stacks, ported, polished and milled Kz 650 head, 750 cams, intake valves, Gpz springs. Dyna Ignition and coils, MAC pipe, 130 rear tire, stainless brake lines, 14 tooth sprocket. Next step is a custom aluminum swingarm and nitrous.

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
03 Aug 2006 06:28 #66891 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Brake Line Availability
btchalice wrote:

www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/brakelines.cfm

Like Old Bike Barn, they incorrectly list three brake lines for the front of the 650 B2-B3 models. I don't know where they got their information, but it's maddenly incorrect! :angry:

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
04 Aug 2006 22:46 #67244 by Wicked_KZ
Replied by Wicked_KZ on topic Brake Line Availability
I got the Russel lines on mine too, they not only look trick but they eliminate the spongy feel the stock lines have.
I got mine off ebay from a guy selling a set of calipers for $10 and the lines were included :whistle:

More
05 Aug 2006 06:47 #67263 by N0NB
Say, Wicked, can you tell me what the length of the banjo ends are? The length of the hose pieces are listed in the catalogs that I've found, but nothing is said about the length about the banjos. I assume that the hose measurements provided are from the outer end of each female coupler.

Maybe I'm being too careful here, but I don't want to by things and wind up an inch short or have to deal with a few inches of excess. I'd like to land at stock length to maybe a half inch longer if possible.

For reference, here are my measurements for my KZ650B3:

Upper: 18.75" tip-to-tip 30 deg at master cylinder, straight at pressure switch
Lower: 14.75" tip-to-tip 30 deg at each end

- Nate >>

Nate

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)

More
05 Aug 2006 19:09 #67379 by Wicked_KZ
Replied by Wicked_KZ on topic Brake Line Availability
The parts I bought off ebay were off an 81 GPZ 1100 and the lines bolted right up (I figured for $10 if things didn't fit I wasn't out too much money so it was worth the risk). The line from the master cylender to the manifold was about an inch longer than the original but it fit nicely after re-clocking it and tightening the banjo bolt. the other 2 lines were a little shorter than my stock lines (about an inch shorter) but still not a problem at all since there was still quite a bit of slack in them with the suspension fully extended.

Measuring mine accurately would be very difficult with them installed because the line from the master cylender was excessively long and needed a good S bend to it so it would sit in place without any problems and still be hidden well.

the banjo ends on mine are 2" from tip to the swedge end on all my fittings. All the banjo ends are straight except for the 30 degree bends at the fork manifold going down to the calipers. All 3 lines have the banjo fittings swedged 90 degrees from the opposite end for proper fitment.

if you can do without your bike for a week or 2 it would still be best to send them your original lines so they can duplicate them exactly.

More
06 Aug 2006 19:56 #67612 by N0NB
By swedge end, I presume you mean up to, but not including the female ferrel nut on the hose? Since I have one line that measures 14.75" end-to-end, I would probably need a 12" line as a 9" would be too short (the next shorter). As I say, I'm probably being too careful.

I'm still hoping to have a chat with the line maker for Old Bike Barn (we're playing phone tag) and give him all the specs. The only disrepenancy that really exists is that OBB has a three line kit for the 650B2/3 when even the Kawasaki parts book only shows two. I don't really need a spare, do I? :whistle:

- Nate >>

Nate

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)

More
10 Aug 2006 21:00 #68652 by N0NB
Okay, I got the new lines today. I ordered them through Old Bike Barn after talking to Craig of HelUSA on Monday morning (he makes their brake line kits). The kit is first rate and includes not only the lines but the banjo bolts, crush washers, and an insert with torque specs and bleeding tips.

I posted pics and a more detailed writeup over on kz650.info .

I look forward to seeing how they perform on the road.

- Nate >>

Nate

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)