21\" Front Wheel - Anyone?

More
28 Jul 2006 14:12 #65473 by chopstar
21\" Front Wheel - Anyone? was created by chopstar
Ok - I'm sure that I'll get flamed like a mofo for this, but I'm just curious, has anyone run a 21" wheel up front on a KZ? There was this guy on this old Honda Forum that I used to go to, and he had a cafe CB750 with a 21" up front and it looked sweet as hell!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2006 15:37 #65486 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic 21 inch front wheel
chopstar wrote:

Ok - I'm sure that I'll get flamed like a mofo for this....

Why would anybody do that?

...but I'm just curious, has anyone run a 21" wheel up front on a KZ? There was this guy on this old Honda Forum that I used to go to, and he had a cafe CB750 with a 21" up front and it looked sweet as hell!

I mean, it's not like you're wanting to hang a 4 into 1 on an...errr...*Sportster* or anything...

Done right, it'd look fine - especially on a Street Tracker. If you have a spoked hub laying around, it ain't that hard to pull off - go for it.

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/07/28 18:39
Attachments:

More
28 Jul 2006 19:26 #65541 by chopstar
Replied by chopstar on topic 21 inch front wheel
Yeah... I wish that I had a pic of that bike - it was really tasteful looking. I lowered (using some mocked up struts) the rear of my bike tonight, and realized that 11" shocks just won't get me as low as I want to go. While she was in her "temporary" low position, I had a vision of just how sweet she would look with a 21" up front.

I know that I can get a rim and have Buchanan lace to my hub, but I just wanted to check if anyone else went that route. Of course I did the forum search first - duh!

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2006 20:10 #65547 by Pterosaur
Yep.

Only real proviso I'd put out there is to make damn sure that front wheel is trued and balanced as well as humanly possible - the larger the diameter, the quicker/more pronounced truing/balance issues can become...

Strutting & lowering the rear while effectively raising the front end is bound to do things to the handling in ways that will take some getting used to - take it easy getting re-aquainted with her.

Otherwise, have fun..

More
28 Jul 2006 21:00 #65556 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic 21 inch front wheel
you left youself open for this pt

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.
Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2006 21:10 #65558 by Pterosaur
btchalice wrote:

you left youself open for this pt...

Touche!

But wait! It's a Big Twin! I said Sportster!

Good one, BT. Somebody, somewhere had to do it sometime. Don't really see *why*, but it is different, and it has been done.

Guess I gotta Google more before I go with hip-shot wisecracks...
Attachments:

More
28 Jul 2006 21:35 #65569 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic 21 inch front wheel
i found it in a magazine if it sells you know they will do a sporty too. seems stupid to me but i do like the way it looks

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2006 21:45 #65572 by Pterosaur
btchalice wrote:

i found it in a magazine if it sells you know they will do a sporty too. seems stupid to me but i do like the way it looks

It does have a certain look, but I guess since we're accustomed to looking at a gang of pipes anyways, it'd be subliminally appealing...

Bet it's a *loud* bastard with the "removeable" baffle out...

And I dig the hype: "...added 13HP* to a stock 2005 Softail!" Hell, any set of open drag pipes 'll do that. Wonder what the asterisk was for...