An extra 2\"inches on your tubes?

More
08 Nov 2005 09:02 #7158 by CruisingRam
An extra 2\"inches on your tubes? was created by CruisingRam
Okay- mind out of the gutters you bunch of biker types- remember, keep your knees together and your mind on Jesus! -

I remember a post on the old board about the 2 inch or so drop you get on the front end when you put on late model super bike forks and rims- and how it scrapes exhaust and such- so this guy on a chopper board is making fork extensions, safe and inexpensive, for choppers- but they would work out perfect for our stuff too-

here is the link: www.chopperunderground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14810

Way cheaper than custom trees!

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2005 01:07 #7287 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic An extra 2\"inches on your tubes?
Back in the '60s when slugs first came on the market, it was a cheap and easy way to extend forks, but once the style got more radical and the threaded joint ended up below the lower triple clamp, people started getting killed. I myself saw a set of 8" over slugs snap on a Triumph back in high school.
If the threaded joint is kept between the triple clamps, they are considered safe. It's because of the longer versions snapping at the joint, the blanket statement, "slugs are not safe" came about.
2" or 3" extensions (slugs) should be safe as long as they are well made. If I needed to make up a couple of inches on a fork swap, I would use slugs with no worries myself, but they still have that unsafe stigma attached to them.
I doubt they would pass tech though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.