Break Fluid

More
22 Aug 2006 13:52 #71622 by ronjones
Break Fluid was created by ronjones
I've got several cans of break fluid. All have been opened at some point, some have more fluid in them than others. I have no idea how old any of them are, at least several yrs. My bike hasn't been run in 11+ yrs, when I started my rebuild there was fluid still in the system. Haven't reuilt the master cylinder but have replaced the main mc seal/gasket. I know that break fluid is cheap, but I have this stuff on the shelf and it is here. Can/should I use what I have? Use the can/s that have the most fluid in them (less air)? If not, can I use it to flush the system, or should I just trash what I have and get new? Any thoughts would be appriciated. Thanks.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2006 14:07 #71626 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Break Fluid
Replacing brake fluid/ bleeding brakes is a labor intensive job- in my opinion you would be foolish to do all that work and use old questionable fluid... Buy a new small bottle and ditch all the old stuff... my 2 cents worth...

More
22 Aug 2006 15:11 #71634 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Break Fluid
Unless the container has been positively resealed, it's likely that the fluid has absorbed moisture. Brake fluid is too cheap and too important to use some of questionable quality.

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2006 16:12 #71654 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Break Fluid
brake fluid is cheap,crashing is expensive.buy new fluid!:P

More
22 Aug 2006 16:44 #71664 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Break Fluid
Well, there seems to be consensus. Kinda thought this would be the answer. Thanks for the input, I'll be getting new. :)

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
22 Aug 2006 17:42 #71675 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Break Fluid
Hey...move over so I can watch over your shoulder. I'm trying to LEARN something! You do realize guys, that you are my only teachers. I'm mechanical but ZERO experience on bikes. I can tear a washing machine down to individual parts, fix your fridge, build a computer from parts, splint your broken limbs, put out your fire. But I most defintely don't want to hurt my KZ. Sometimes I do make mistakes but on my KZ I'm a movin' mighty slow when it comes to wrenching on her. I want to be sure EXACTLY what I am doing. I read the book ten times lol.:huh:

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
22 Aug 2006 18:46 #71696 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Break Fluid
I'm kinda the same way, pumps. Generally If I can take it apart, I can put it back together again. Finding this place as a resourse has been priceless. There are quite a few differences between working on cars and bikes and I want to be sure that I put this bike back together again right.
Thanks for the help, guys

More
22 Aug 2006 19:42 #71716 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Break Fluid
A good rule of thumb is to never compromise on your tires or brakes--they are your lifeline on a bike followed by your controls and lights to be seen and warn other motorists. All should be in good repair.

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2006 21:04 #71732 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Break Fluid
yeah that was beaten into my head at a ery young age .it dont matter how fast it is if you cant stop it and steer it!;)