Master cylinder clip removal

• tennacnightman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Aug 2006 20:35 #72541 by tennacnightman
Master cylinder clip removal was created by tennacnightman
I'm trying to rebuild the front master cylinder on my 77 KZ1000A1. I've removed the 18mm clip and the snap ring now how in the heck do you remove that honk'n piston clip? Tried everyway to reason how they installed it to begin with but can't come up with anything. Nothing to grab onto and no room to compress. What am I missing? As usual any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to my mechanics shop tomorrow to pick up the rebuild kit. If it's nearly impossible to remove this thing then I'll save the bucks and put it towards a new complete MC assy. OUCH:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2006 13:38 #73000 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Master cylinder clip removal
I've got the 900 Shop Manual open to Master Cylinder Disassembly.
It says to remove the retaing ring with retaing ring pliers, special tool 57001-154. It's a bad picture from my manual. Looks like long-nose pilers with the tips for grabbing the circlip. Also, the jaw is bent 90°.
Hope that helps.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
28 Aug 2006 13:59 #73003 by vegasjetskier
Replied by vegasjetskier on topic Master cylinder clip removal
Yup, that's exactly what my KZ1000 A1 manual shows too. You should be able to buy a tool that will work at a local auto parts store or Sears.

ltdrider wrote:

I've got the 900 Shop Manual open to Master Cylinder Disassembly.
It says to remove the retaing ring with retaing ring pliers, special tool 57001-154. It's a bad picture from my manual. Looks like long-nose pilers with the tips for grabbing the circlip. Also, the jaw is bent 90°.
Hope that helps.

More
29 Aug 2006 05:20 #73151 by Sorf
Replied by Sorf on topic Master cylinder clip removal
You can get the clip out with normal retaining ring pliers...but...you will have to grind the the nose down to get them in there, if you have 3 hands, push the piston in as well to give more room PITA. You can also get them out with a strong pick and a lot of patience.
If anyone has a simple idea for this, let's have it. :cheer: