Sprockets

More
28 Aug 2006 10:12 #72968 by OldSkool73
Sprockets was created by OldSkool73
Anyone know if the front smaller chain sprocket is a different size in reference to the 1973 Z1 and the 1974 Z1?? I swapped motors this past weekend and it seems the chain that was on my 73 no longer fits the sprocket on my 74. Although its hard to figure out since the motors have been swapped into an Amen Savior frame. Someone inthe past could have easily swapped the sprockets to make it work....any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Skool73

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Aug 2006 10:27 #72970 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Sprockets
do they both have same number of teeth?does the pitch on gears look the same?maybe somebody switched from 630 to 530 chain on one or the other.:whistle:

More
28 Aug 2006 10:46 #72972 by OldSkool73
Replied by OldSkool73 on topic Sprockets
wireman wrote:

do they both have same number of teeth?does the pitch on gears look the same?maybe somebody switched from 630 to 530 chain on one or the other.:whistle:

I havent matched them up side by side yet. I am trying to figure out how I am going to get the sprocket off of the 73 motor thats sitting in my workshop. Its kinda difficult to lossen the nut when the sprocket is free turning. I have to figure that out tonight.....

It is completely possible that someone switched out the sprockets. Being as that it is a rat bike, anything is an option at this point.....

OldSkool73/74

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Aug 2006 11:06 #72977 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Sprockets
impact!;)

More
28 Aug 2006 14:09 #73010 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Sprockets
wireman wrote:

impact!;)

yes, they work wonders

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
28 Aug 2006 14:28 #73012 by OldSkool73
Replied by OldSkool73 on topic Sprockets
If only I was in a shop and not in my carport.....no impact going on here....:(

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
28 Aug 2006 16:27 #73036 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Sprockets
OldSkool73 wrote:

....Its kinda difficult to lossen the nut when the sprocket is free turning. I have to figure that out tonight.......

OldSkool, I'll give you a really cheezy tip if you promise not to tell any of the real mechanics on here. Just a secret between you and me...

I take a cheap box wrench - the kind with a closed end and an open end, right? For my 400 I use an 8mm, for my 750 I use a 12mm.

For my 750, I take the open end and stick one of the sides in a little hole in the frame just to the right of the sprocket; for the 400, I wedge the open end against the frame right by the swingarm pivot. Either model, I take the closed end and I fit it over a tooth on the bottom of the sprocket.

The wrench must be with the open end angling down to the left, or it won't hold on the sprocket tooth correctly.

You might have to have the open end grab a different part of your frame, use different sized wrenches, etc., or maybe it won't even work for you. But it works like a charm for me, every time. I keep a spare set of low-cost box wrenches just for this purpose, though it really doesn't damage them at all...

Enjoy! And remember, don't tell anyone.... :P ;)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com