Front M/C screws

More
10 Sep 2006 07:14 #75614 by EsaPro
Front M/C screws was created by EsaPro
I bought replacement screws for my front m/c, since mine were buggered and rusty. In taking them off yesterday, after many doses of liquid wrench, two came out fine, a third has a head so stripped, I cannot get a screwdriver on it, and the fourth broke off whilst taking it out.

Joy.

The question is - is it better to try to replace the whole m/c, or get those screws out (ez-outs, drill?). The brakes work, but I would like to change out the fluid.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2006 08:17 #75626 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Front M/C screws
Get a newer master cylinder, master cylinder rebuild kits are not available for the 78-79 twins (same as the 78-79 KZ1000 I think).

Newer master cylinders go fairly cheap on eBay.

KD9JUR

More
10 Sep 2006 13:27 #75680 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic Front M/C screws
Something like this?

Master cylinder on eBay

I also see at old bike barn, several "universal" m/c's, but those suckers are $100-$140!

Thanks for the advice.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/09/10 16:53

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
10 Sep 2006 13:52 #75692 by steell
That one looks like it will work, I have been thinking about buying that one also, I am having a hard time finding a good one in my garage, I'm on the second bad one now and think I only have one or two left to try :(

KD9JUR

More
10 Sep 2006 16:19 #75726 by EsaPro
Odd thing is, I have seen a couple "originals" on ebay, and one is $50, and the other the guy wants $80! I was origianlly thinking of trying to get just the cover, as this one is cracked on two corners, but that is not going to happen. Looking more and more like aftermarket is the right answer.

Thanks again.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
10 Sep 2006 17:14 #75753 by steell
If your master cylinder works ok, and the screwa are the only problem, You can just break off that cover then remove the two screws that hold the plastic resevoir on, and I'll send you replacement parts in return for at least a $5 contribution to KZR :)

I have two bad 79 KZ750 twin master cylinders.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/09/10 20:17

KD9JUR

More
10 Sep 2006 17:51 #75768 by EsaPro
Well now, THAT sounds interesting. I do believe it works ok - the brake works, from what I can tell in the driveway (Bike's not registered, and I won't have my 'cycle license until after the MSF course next weekend). The rear master's fluid is brown, and needs chaging, and I bet the front is the same way, but I can't get the top off to check!!

I will take you up on that offer. I will PM my addy.

This has turned out to be a great group of folks - I am picking up a lot of great info on this board. Who'd a thunk I would find a friendly, helpful bunch of guys by buying an old bike? :cheer:

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
11 Sep 2006 04:04 #75835 by madderkaw
Replied by madderkaw on topic Front M/C screws
If none of this works out, try Yoyodyne.com. They have all kinds of cool looking brakes and brake parts.

More
11 Sep 2006 05:06 #75839 by steell
madderkaw wrote:

If none of this works out, try Yoyodyne.com. They have all kinds of cool looking brakes and brake parts.

Got a link??

Yoyodyne.com gets me the following:

Welcome to Yoyodyne Software Systems

Where The Future Starts Tomorrow!
Yoyodyne Software Systems, Inc., a tiny little division of Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, is a front organization for the evil Red Lectroids from Planet 10 (via the 8th dimension). Any information on our hated enemy, Buckaroo Banzai and his Oscillation Overthruster should be reported to John Bigboote.

Doesn't sound like a place to buy motorcycle brake parts :D :D

www.yoyodyneti.com/ looks promising (and delicious) :evil:

You have to keep refreshing the page till you get to the one I am talking about :)

This one looks interesting, for $104.18 Master Cylinder link

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/09/11 08:15

KD9JUR