Changed my swing arm bearings

More
10 Oct 2006 12:03 #83220 by kzwolfsr
Changed my swing arm bearings was created by kzwolfsr
I only got to put in 1 at each side cos the bearings were a b0878 to get out so i only bothered with those 2 plus i had to change the bar i forgot its name. It was brinnelled by the old bearings and there wasn't one lick of grease in there, just rusty dust

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
10 Oct 2006 14:41 #83256 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Changed my swing arm bearings
kzwolfsr wrote:

I only got to put in 1 at each side cos the bearings were a b0878 to get out so i only bothered with those 2 plus i had to change the bar i forgot its name. It was brinnelled by the old bearings and there wasn't one lick of grease in there, just rusty dust

When I did mine I almost gave up on the inner ones. They were practically welded in there it seemed. I ended up buying a sacificial metal bar from the hardware store and just spending a whole lot of time tapping around in a circle over and over and over... and re-grinding the edge of the bar, and tapping over and over and over.... ;) They eventually came out...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
10 Oct 2006 17:31 #83307 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Changed my swing arm bearings
i totally forgot that i had extra bicycle bars in the house man. I was using the old swing arm sleeve along with a i think 21mm socket but the bearing only goes so far and stops so what I did was knockout all the rollers in the center of the bearing and pushed the remainder way down to the center of the tunnel. O and a hacksaw blade wouldn't work either.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean