removing GPz1100 antidive units....

More
14 Oct 2006 16:56 #84314 by Fossil
removing GPz1100 antidive units.... was created by Fossil
I've bypassed the antidive units with braided brake lines and have progressive springs installed as per the GPz750 mods link here. I would like to completely remove the antidive units but apparently removing them will result in too high compression damping. The info says they can be replaced with a machined block of aluminum to act as an oil reservoir. Has anyone done this? I don't quite follow just what is required, size, capacity etc. Did anyone manufacture these at any time?

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2006/10/14 19:57

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2006 17:10 #84322 by steell
Replied by steell on topic removing GPz1100 antidive units....
I'll try and explain how they work.

When you remove the antidive unit, you will see two holes in the fork leg. When the forks compress, oil travels out one hole, though the antidive, and back into the fork through the other hole. The antidive works by using brake pressure to push in a plunger, to restrict the amount of oil that can flow, by increasing the compression damping.

So, you can see that blocking those two holes is a "Really Bad" thing :)

I think I have a drawing that gives the dimensions for the block off plate, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy (assuming I can find it on my computer).

Even better, I found it and resized it so I could post it here :)

If you want the actual size, you'll still have to e-mail me so I can send it to you.

Is that answer satisfactory? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/10/14 20:17

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2006 17:33 #84337 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic removing GPz1100 antidive units....
That makes perfect sense. Thanks. I've emailed you.

More
14 Oct 2006 17:52 #84349 by steell
Full sized pic is probably there now :)

If anyone else needs it, just ask.

I have considered drilling and tapping a hole in the plate extending into the passage, then putting a needle valve in the hole and using it to manually adjust compression damping.

Still thinking about it, since I have not made the block off plates yet :D

KD9JUR

More
14 Oct 2006 20:34 #84381 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic removing GPz1100 antidive units....
steell wrote:

I have considered drilling and tapping a hole in the plate extending into the passage, then putting a needle valve in the hole and using it to manually adjust compression damping.

Would you be able to get both sides the exact same that way though?
An alternate solution might be to use main jets or similar instead of a needle valve and then just put a plug in the end. I know a guy with a blown alcohol car at the local drag strip, and he has to do this type of procedue due to differences in the air. they check the air before each run and "change the pill(jet)" accordingly. it would make both forks equal, and to change the damping, just get bigger or smaller jets. (you must have lots of spares you could play with, and drill out larger if need be)
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
14 Oct 2006 22:54 #84393 by steell
They would have to be awful large jets, those holes are about 10-12mm in diameter. A lot of oil flows through there.

I'll probably never get a "rountuit" however, to much other stuff to do :)

KD9JUR