frame differences kz1000j and kz1000r

More
04 Nov 2006 06:41 #89626 by barney
Replied by barney on topic frame differences
Onkel.The ELR and GPZ frames mount the tail light the same way.

Post edited by: barney, at: 2006/11/04 09:45

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2006 06:54 #89627 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic frame differences
According to Kawasaki.com they don´t, at least not the 82/83 ELR - if you look at the frame pic in Kano´s post above (82/83 KZ1000R) the mounts are on the outside of the frame. Might be an error in the diagrams, don´t know, but my 1000J frame has the mounts on the inside like the pic I posted.

Barney, just noticed you own an 82 ELR, so I guess you would know better than me - is the diagram wrong?

Post edited by: OnkelB, at: 2006/11/04 10:12

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

• kano
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
04 Nov 2006 07:42 #89628 by kano
Replied by kano on topic frame differences
this post started becouse the img's at Kawasaki.com
didnt match my bike so dont take their frame pic's to serious.

More
04 Nov 2006 08:27 #89636 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic frame differences
The October issue of Classic Motorcycle Mechanics has an article on the GPz1100s where they had tested and compared the Z1100-B1 and the ZX1100-A1. It doesn't really answer the question in this posting, but the early and later GPz1100 frames are not the same, main differences (other than Unitrac), being rake and wheelbase.

More
04 Nov 2006 09:57 #89650 by OnkelB
kano wrote:

this post started becouse the img's at Kawasaki.com
didnt match my bike so dont take their frame pic's to serious.

Yeah, they seem to be somewhat inaccurate - for instance my frame (83 1000-J3) is a mix of the two frame pics above: it has the rear mounts sitting like in the lower pic, but it has the double bracing around the backbone like in the upper pic even though the lower pic only shows the rear brace. It also has the lower brace between the downtubes which is missing in both frame pics (the one you drew in). Guess you´re right that the frame pics can´t be trusted 100%.

Really nice bike you got there btw.

• kano
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Nov 2006 10:19 #89657 by kano
yeh its a little confusing,
now we have it documented on the best place for kz er's
anyone else who needs or wants to know can find info.

More
05 Nov 2006 06:22 #89765 by barney
Hey this is getting interesting. OnkelB your diagram looks to be the most accurate . Only thing different I see is that there is a brace missing that runs between the two diagonal down tubes that my battery bracket mounts to. I am spoiled cause I have a couple of buddies who own an 81 GPZ1100,82Gpz1100,and a 83 1000 J.I use them for referance a lot. Obviously we have established the Kawasaki.com diagrams are not totally correct.

Post edited by: barney, at: 2006/11/05 09:32

More
05 Nov 2006 07:20 #89768 by OnkelB
barney wrote:

Onkel describe how I can do the frame diagram thing and how to box in or highlight an area.

To find the diagrams go to www.kawasaki.com - on the front page click "Motorcycle", then on the page that opens click "Owner info" - this will open a menu to the right, here you click "Parts Diagrams". This opens the "Vehicle Information Center" page where you can search by Model Information or by VIN - the VIN search won´t work on older models, so you just select "Motorcycle" in the top window (search by model information) and click "Continue". Now you can search by model year, cc, product type or marketing name - the easiest is to just select the year and click "Continue", this will bring up a list of all bikes produced that year. Select your bike (click to choose), the rest is self-explanatory.

To save a diagram once you´ve opened it you just right-click>save as - in the top left over the diagram you´ll see three magnifying glass icons, the one to the right zooms too 100%, remember to click this before you save the diagram.

To box in or highlight I use Photoshop ($$$), but you can do it in Paint too - Paint is part of Windows and can be found in the Start menu under Accessories.

Note: The parts diagrams at Kawasaki.com are in .png format and in black and white. To add colors open the .png image, then go to File>Save as and save the image as a .jpeg file. Then open the .jpeg file with Paint, you can now select a color and do box thing with one of the tools.

As for resizing pics for upload, here´s a link to a small free program that might come in handy, there are other free ones out there, try a Google search for "resize pics":

www.wikihow.com/Easily-Resize-Photos-in-Windows-XP

Post edited by: OnkelB, at: 2006/11/05 10:22

• kano
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Nov 2006 08:59 #89793 by kano
i posted a updated pic at the top
if you own a elr confirm changes i made
to original pic at buykaw.com.
confirm diagram looks to be the most accurate now plz guys.

More
06 Nov 2006 04:25 #89927 by barney
Yea Kano your updates to the original pic look right on except for the location of my battery bracket(I'll try to show it on a diagram if I can-thanks for the instructions Onkel)