Differences in battery box?

More
07 Nov 2006 04:18 #90201 by inline4
Differences in battery box? was created by inline4
I'm beginning to re-assemble various parts to my 1974 Z1 frame because the engine is FINALLY ready to be re-assembled as well.B)
For the life of me I can not figure out how the battery box attaches to the frame. It is not the original box but I think it came off a KZ1000.
Are there different battery boxes for these Z1/KZ1000 frames?
Thanks for your help.
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2006 05:51 #90214 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Differences in battery box?
The drum brake models had the battery coming out the side. The disk brake models have the battery coming out from the top as the rear master cylinder is in the way. There will obviously be differences in the battery boxes. Also, the batteries are different sizes so the boxes will be physically different sizes. On MOST bikes the electrical junction panel mounts on the left side of the battery box but the early Z1, it was on the right as I recall. On the ST, there is no junction box and the battery box has a bunch of mounting tabs that won't be the same as any other bike... I would look for the correct battery box.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Nov 2006 07:03 #90226 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Differences in battery box?
74z1 box mounts from top of frame,sits way up high and has little metal tool box mounted to top rear of it. ;)