Been gone for a few weeks

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
14 Oct 2024 07:30 #905089 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Been gone for a few weeks was created by slmjim+Z1BEBE
slmjim & The Lovely Z1BEBE flew into TPA (Tampa International Airport) to visit an old friend's widow & likewise old friend who lives in Lakeland.

A few days after we arrived, we decided to drive to Key West for a few days' stay.  Third time in KW for us, and little has changed over the years.  Old Town is still entertaining, a little warped, with remarkable people-watching opportunities. Still way overpriced on everything but, fuel was relatively inexpensive on Key Largo.  We got outta there before the borderline-mentally-ill 'festival' & even higher prices were to start the following week.

The drive back to Lakeland was through the far outer bands of nearly constant heavy rain that preceded Milton by a couple of days.

The house our friend owns is very solid, recent construction to very high, post-Homestead, hurricane-resistant standards.  We decided to ride out Milton there. slmjim was considering that, if the eye passed over the house, it would be a bucket list checkoff to venture outside while the eye was overhead & look up & see the clear sky & both eye walls. As it was, the track took the core of Milton slightly south of Lakeland, so no eye-viewing.  Peak winds we experienced were in the 80 ~ 90 mph. range.  That happened overnight, so we couldn't see sky, but we could see trees bent over & silhouetted against the clouds .  It was remarkable to sense the significant change in wind direction as the core moved west to east.

With our home being in a Midwest area that's somewhat prone to tornadoes, we were more concerned with the tornado warnings in Polk County that accompanied Milton than the hurricane itself.

The power flickered a couple time, but never failed entirely.

The following morning, no damage to the house.  We helped our hostess clean up a few small limbs & a huge quantity of Spanish Moss (fairly benign but nasty stuff) that had blown into her yard her yard, then a few of her immediate neighbors' yards.  Some fairly large branches from their yards required power tools.  A very large tree between two houses on her subdivision entrance street had blown over, damaging both houses & blocking the vehicles in at one of them.

TPA shut down ops the day before Milton hit.  Our flight home was scheduled to depart Fri, 10/11.  We didn't know if TPA would reopen in time, and were making plans to rent a car to drive home.  TPA opened at 08:00 Fri. morning & our flight that evening was on time.  TSA lines were long, but flight ops seemed normal.

The drive from Lakeland to TPA was eye-opening.  Most of Lakeland was without power, and we saw a few flooded homes.  We ate breakfast at a little strip mall place that had power but was cash only, as their broadband was down. Every gas station, restaurant & business we passed on US-98 was down for lack of power or flooding.  The businesses large & small that had no power were obvious because no lights, flooded, and / or the parking lots were empty on a weekday.  Although, a few of those may have been closed for consideration of employees beginning the recovery process at their homes.

The drive along I-4 into Tampa revealed considerable damage from downed trees & flooding.  The closer we got to Tampa, the fewer indications of power availability were apparent.   We saw no fuel stations operating anywhere along I-4.  Bank parking lots empty on a Friday 'cause no power.

Happy to be home.  Missed our puppydogs Big Time!  We didn't visit KZR, so it'll be a few days before we get caught up on the past couple weeks happenings here.

Milton was a minor adventure for us, but a major catastrophe for much of FL.  Our prayers for all who were affected.  If there's something we can do to help, PM us.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
14 Oct 2024 09:01 #905101 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Been gone for a few weeks
Personally I would want to be long gone before a hurricane interrupted my vacation.  But glad to hear you and your friend came though it OK.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
Yesterday 02:36 #905125 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Been gone for a few weeks
That's a brave move, staying there! Had a Friend call me from Florida before that hit, he was hitting the road, ha. Also have a Friend that just happened to live in Ashville, NC. For him, he lived further up in the hills, Luckily! The sheer Power of Mother Nature is impressive, definitely humbling. Glad to hear you cats made it back safely. Rebels, ha 

More
Yesterday 07:10 #905133 by Nerdy
Replied by Nerdy on topic Been gone for a few weeks
Dime City Cycles (Tampa) sent an email update that they were going to be closed on Tuesday, 09 Oct and Wednesday, 09 Oct so their employees could prep for Milton. I thought that was nice.

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R