Mirror Vibration

More
10 Mar 2007 15:35 #119045 by Bluemeanie
Mirror Vibration was created by Bluemeanie
I did a search with no results and hope I'm in the right section but here goes... I ordered and recieved a replacement set of chrome/stainless mirrors for my '80 KZ650, fit perfect,look great but upon getting on the freeway found them to be totally usless! At 70mph (6000rpm) all I see is blur! Is there any trick to clearing this up? A few years ago I saw ads for a small adapter that goes between the stalk and the mount that was supposed to fix this. Any ideas...Thanks

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
10 Mar 2007 16:24 #119055 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Mirror Vibration
Bluemeanie wrote:

...A few years ago I saw ads for a small adapter that goes between the stalk and the mount that was supposed to fix this. Any ideas...Thanks

I have those - I haven't installed them yet. I actually bought them because I just wanted about an inch or so more height on my useless mirrors. However, the part on the adaptor that screws into your existing female mirror socket is too long, and so I have to cut some off before I can use them, and I just haven't got around to it...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
10 Mar 2007 17:15 #119068 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Mirror Vibration
I have a set too, JCWhitney has them. I haven't installed mine yet either. It'll probably be the last thing I do before I ride this year. My mirrors are detachable from the stalks, I'm wondering if it would be better to put them between the mirror and the stalk or the stalk and the bars. Any suggestions?

I've been trying to get a link for them for you, but the whitney site won't even come up.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/03/10 20:24

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
10 Mar 2007 18:44 #119090 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Mirror Vibration
I would think between the stalks and the mount,that would keep vibration further away from the mirrors. Thanks guys, I'll chec out JCW. B)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
10 Mar 2007 19:37 #119097 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic Mirror Vibration
in my experience, the rubber insulators don't really work.

i had a hard chrome spacer so the right mirror could clear the master cylinder. then i replaced it with one of the jcwhitney rubber insulators and the vibration was worse.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
10 Mar 2007 19:47 #119100 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Mirror Vibration
I think I remember reading somewhere before that some people put weights on the bar ends, and some people even fill their handlebar with BBs to give it more weight and dampen the vibration. I've never tried it, though, so no idea if it works.

West Linn, OR

More
10 Mar 2007 20:28 #119115 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Mirror Vibration
Jeff at Z1 has some sweet short stem round mirrors that I think I will give a try for the next set. I have a set of the rectangular Napolean mirrors and I don't get any vibration. I have to admit when I get my riding jacket on, I can't really see out of mirrors anyway. Luckily my neck is pretty limber. haaa.

If you want to try out the napolean mirrors, I got them here: store.azmusa.com/mirrors1.html . I think the short stem roundies would be pretty cool though.

Good luck.

More
11 Mar 2007 04:46 #119154 by FloridaBiker
Replied by FloridaBiker on topic Mirror Vibration
None of my bikes has the problem right now, but last century (I really love saying that) I had the problem after buying an aftermarket set of handle bars.

I melted some automotive wheel weights and filled my handlebars with the lead.
Problem solved!

NOTE:
The handlebars must be removed from the bike to do this. Set the bars on end in a bench vise.
Plug the lower end with something. Maybe a couple of wheel weights. A little leakage is no problem.
Fill handlebars with melted lead.
When it hardens reverse the bars, and finish the job.
Any leakage on the lower end is easily removed.

The BBs sound ok, but possibly noisy and difficult to work with. Maybe BBs in epoxy?

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
11 Mar 2007 05:48 #119159 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Mirror Vibration
actually, I've had good luck and have had friends who've done this too:
Lead shot mixed in that latex caulk stuff that stays soft. Fill the bars, and it's done. Weighs a BUNCH less than leading the entire bar, and seems to work as well. We got this idea from using deadblow hammers in the machine shop. Now, the only question is, is lead shot still available?:(

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2007 06:04 #119161 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Mirror Vibration
From the way back file...

Shot Filled Bars ;)

The BBs sound ok, but possibly noisy and difficult to work with. Maybe BBs in epoxy?

No on both accounts. Easy to work with, and never heard 'm make so much as a peep... :laugh:

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2007/03/11 09:17

More
11 Mar 2007 07:11 #119171 by FloridaBiker
pstrbrc wrote:

Now, the only question is, is lead shot still available?:(

If not, wheel weights (again).
They are lead, and most tire stores will give you the old ones.

More
11 Mar 2007 07:12 #119172 by FloridaBiker
pstrbrc wrote:

Now, the only question is, is lead shot still available?:(

If not, wheel weights (again).
They are lead, and most tire stores will give you the old ones.