• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2007 13:40 #119254 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Mirror Vibration
FloridaBiker wrote:

pstrbrc wrote:

Now, the only question is, is lead shot still available?:(

If not, wheel weights (again).
They are lead, and most tire stores will give you the old ones.

Of course lead shot is still available - any self-respecting gunsmithy with a NASCAR sign out front sells it in bulk - helps keep the stop sign and skool X-ing herds to manageable levels.... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2007 15:26 #119269 by AK 81 CSR
Replied by AK 81 CSR on topic Mirror Vibration
:) You can try all the above. But I think with aftermarket mirrors you get what you pay for. I have a set of the JCWhitney rubber mounts and did'nt find that they help a whole lot. Sometimes the vibration is between the glass and the rubber/plastic gasket and therefore the mirror vibrates inside its own housing. You can try to shim it with something or try squeezing some clear calk between the mirror and the gasket to tighten it up. Probably the best thing to do is get some OEM mirrors off a different bike or buy some high priced aftermarket mirrors. I ended up buying some mirrors off a 2004 Shadow (Chrome round type)that were made in Japan. Solved the problem, and they look like the stock Kawis only their chrome instead of black plastic.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
11 Mar 2007 15:28 #119270 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Mirror Vibration
I've also heard of folks filling their h-bars full of sand with good results, which is considerably cheaper and more obtainable than lead-shot, old wheel weights or BB's.
But if you still have the OEM h-bars on your bike, I highly recommend NOT filling them with anything since the wiring for the switches runs through them.
The BB's/sand/etc could possible make it out through those openings, or worse yet, possibly damage the wiring! :pinch:

If you decide to get a set of mirrors like the black plastic type suggested (round or rectangular), be sure to get the Napoleon brand.
The Emgo brand is usually cheaper, but they won't solve vibration problems. Ya get what ya pay for with them, trust me!

Currently I have a set of the rectangular Napolens on my bike, and initially even those had some slight distortion at very high RPM's. I cured that lil' problem by adding a set of black universal 7/8" bar-end weights (about $10~$15 on eBay), and haven't had any probs since.
I've even seen those bar-end weights anodized or painted in just about every color imaginable to match your bike too. B)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/03/11 18:33

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
11 Mar 2007 15:33 #119271 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Mirror Vibration
I put a set of aftermarket mirrors on my LTD 1000, couldnt see squat at highway speed, wound up going to the honda dealer, put a set of OEM Honda mirrors on, they are not round, but they stay put and I have had the bike up to 100 mph, and still clear, if memory serves I paid about 80 bucks for the set and all the hardware

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
11 Mar 2007 15:34 #119272 by AK 81 CSR
I agree with you RetroRocket the Emgo brand suck. I also like the convexs glass, seem you get a better view of what's behind you.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
More
11 Mar 2007 17:05 #119287 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Here are a few pics of the bar-end weights and rectangular Napoleon mirrors mounted on my KZ650 (don't mind the dust, it's been garaged for the past few months).
The bar-end weights combined with the foam grips even took away the buzzing feel in my hands too! B)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/03/11 20:09

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

More
11 Mar 2007 17:22 #119295 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic Mirror Vibration
Not much changed in the garage since I was out there, huh R4!!??!!??:silly: :lol: :blink: :cheer: ;) :whistle:

Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2007/03/11 20:23

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
More
11 Mar 2007 22:12 #119400 by RetroRiceRocketRider
indykaw77 wrote:

Not much changed in the garage since I was out there, huh R4!!??!!??:silly: :lol: :blink: :cheer: ;) :whistle:<br><br>Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2007/03/11 20:23

ACTUALLY, I finally cleared all the stuff off the longer of my two work benches in preperation for when I start the rebuild on my 650......I simply piled it all on top of the smaller bench buried in the corner out of the way. :whistle: :pinch: :laugh:

That and a few spare Honda and B&S general purpose motors "magically" found there way in there for yet to be decided projects. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

More
19 Mar 2007 06:28 #121516 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Mirror Vibration
Got my JCW rubber mirror adaptors today (actually I screwed up and only ordered one, I'm a moron) Went on fine, have to tighten with pliers and a rag. Will see what happens...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
19 Mar 2007 09:26 #121556 by paulie
Replied by paulie on topic Mirror Vibration
i'd be interested to see how those help!

any chance you have a link for those? :)

More
19 Mar 2007 21:12 #121781 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Mirror Vibration
My 2 cents worth? Don't waste your time or money on these JCW mirror dampners! Went to work today and around town they vibrated and the other (remember I'm the moron that ordered only one) mirror was rock steady. On the freeway at 70mph (6000rpm) the JCW mirror was actually wobbling around (too much rubber?)and the view was horrible. I reached over and felt the buzziness of the regular mirror and then the JCW mirror and it was buzzing twice as much! Now, these may work on other bikes, but not on mine. Paulie, I believe there is a link in one of the posts before this...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
19 Mar 2007 21:33 #121795 by AK 81 CSR
:( As I stated earlier they didn't really work for me either. Best bet is to buy some NOS OEM mirriors of your choice. Seems like the Japaness are still quality oriented. Sometimes you can get a good deal on eBay with some take-offs from someonelses custom project.